CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Smoking Harmalas: Do I have to go all the way to freebase? Options

steppa
#1 Posted : 5/22/2014 4:10:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey,

I read a lot here recently on how to extract the goodies from syrian rue. But I'm still not not sure if freebase is a must, when it comes to changa preparation. Would someone be nice enough to clarify this for me? If freebase wasn't necessary, what are it's benefits then?

I'd like to extract my own harmalas this time, but he whole process seems pretty time consuming and I'd be happy to ditch as many steps as possible.

I'm sure the answer is somewere on here and I did a lot of searches but for me this question remains unclear.

Thanks in advance!

Everything is always okay in the end, if it's not, then it's not the end.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Purges
#2 Posted : 5/22/2014 5:54:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes they do need to be freebase. In general freebase is.for smoking and salts are for oral. Conversion is very easy though.
Lose Control, Free My Soul, Break Me Open, Make Me Whole.
"DMT kicked my balls off" - od3

Sabnock
#3 Posted : 5/22/2014 7:57:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I prefer to extract freebase Harmalas, i use em' for smoking, i use em' orally in a capsule, i can even snort them or use them sublingually. And besides that, when doing a Manske extraction, it's heavily contaminated with salt. I mean, you could try smoking Rue seeds, i have, and while it works it's nowhere near as good as smoking the freebase.

And it's actually quite easy to extract freebase, you just make the brew, base the brew with washing soda, filter out the precipitated freebase extract, dissolve the freebase in warm acidic water, filter out what doesn't dissolve, re-base and repeat atleast 2 to 3 more times.

The majority of time spent doing an extraction, is boiling up the brew. The basing, precipitation, filtering, redissolving, filtering and re-basing, only takes maybe 30 minutes per purification.

But if you want pure Harmalas, then once you have your freebase, you re-dissolve it in hot acidic water, add in salt, put in the fridge overnight and the next day just decant the liquid away from the yellow Harmalas, and then re-dissolve the Harmalas with warm acidic water, and re-base with washing soda.

Btw, i only use 10 grams of washing soda per 400mls of liquid.

pitubo
#4 Posted : 5/22/2014 11:38:14 PM

dysfunctional word machine

I agree with the other replies, don't smoke the harmala HCl salts. If you already have the salt, it is very easy to turn it into freebase, much easier than with DMT. The harmala alkaloids are hardly water soluble in freebase form and can relatively easily be filtered out once the solution from which they precipitate is sufficiently free from fats.

Sabnock wrote:
And besides that, when doing a Manske extraction, it's heavily contaminated with salt.

Not if you grow the crystals slowly and big, use a vacuum filtering setup and press the filter cake between absorbing papers. Then you get very little salt contamination.

Sabnock wrote:
I mean, you could try smoking Rue seeds, i have, and while it works it's nowhere near as good as smoking the freebase.

Wut?!? The seeds are like popcorn when you light them whole. I did this once on a charcoal pellet, and after having seen the burning seeds fly around the room, I will not do so ever again. Traditional burning of Syrian Rue as an incense is done inside a closed metal gauze contraption.

Sabnock
#5 Posted : 5/23/2014 1:23:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

pitubo wrote:
Sabnock wrote:
I mean, you could try smoking Rue seeds, i have, and while it works it's nowhere near as good as smoking the freebase.

Wut?!? The seeds are like popcorn when you light them whole. I did this once on a charcoal pellet, and after having seen the burning seeds fly around the room, I will not do so ever again. Traditional burning of Syrian Rue as an incense is done inside a closed metal gauze contraption.

I've never had Rue seeds pop out of my bowl when i've smoked em'. In fact, the first time i made DMT-enhanced leaf, i filled up a bowl of Rue seed and the herb and it worked awesomely. I also tried roasting the Rue seed a little bit and then smoked it, made a much better smoke, but not as good as freebase Rue extract or freebase Harmalas though.

steppa
#6 Posted : 5/23/2014 7:54:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for your replies. But I'am exactly as confused as before, because:

If it's possible to smoke the whole seeds (which I don't want to) in what state are the Harmalas when they are still inside the seeds? I can hardly image that there's freebase in there.

But if they are active by just smoking them, and if the harmalas are water soluble....couldn't I just make water extract (read: tea), boil it down, evap and scrape? I guess not, but I don't really get why. This is what confuses me. Would be someone so nice to clarify this for me?

Yield woudn't really be an issue, as those seeds are dirt cheap.

Sabnock
#7 Posted : 5/23/2014 8:18:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Yes, you can smoke Harmala in salt form, obviously, smoked Caapi is really nice. The thing is though, you're not going to be able to smoke Rue tar/residue. The residue won't burn well at all, and will be sticky/gooey and will be a waste of perfectly good Rue. Trust me on this, i was a noob too, i've tried everything one can think of Harmala and DMT ingestion-related. It's a whole hell of a lot easier to extract from the Rue seed and smoke the freebase extract.

pitubo
#8 Posted : 5/23/2014 1:47:13 PM

dysfunctional word machine

steppa wrote:
If it's possible to smoke the whole seeds (which I don't want to) in what state are the Harmalas when they are still inside the seeds? I can hardly image that there's freebase in there.

In the seeds, the harmala alkaloids are present as salts, most likely acetate salts.

steppa wrote:
But if they are active by just smoking them, and if the harmalas are water soluble....couldn't I just make water extract (read: tea), boil it down, evap and scrape? I guess not, but I don't really get why. This is what confuses me. Would be someone so nice to clarify this for me?

If you are going to make a water extract anyway, it is much easier to add some base to the tea and watch the alkaloids precipitate than to boil the solution down. So its easier to do and you get a better purity.

steppa
#9 Posted : 5/23/2014 4:21:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ok. Thank you guys! Thumbs up

MoonMan79
#10 Posted : 5/23/2014 7:16:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Smoking Harmalas-HCl (or sublingual) is in my humble opinion a great thing!
Also: As it is water soluable, you can use it easly to make smoking blends with herbs.
You can´t to that easily with freebase.
Check it out. If other Harmala-Salts than HCL are smokeable without
health-issues, I really don´t know.

Jees
#11 Posted : 5/23/2014 7:36:12 PM

DMT-Nexus member

In salt form, the smoking temp is higher, while your freebase dmtee has a low smoking temp. That is a difficult marriage. The point where your salt harmalas smokes fine, you're burning the dmtee. If you respect the dmtee-temp then your salt harmalas will not smoke enough. Bummer.
Bring the 2 smoking temp's together as much as possible, like having both as freebase.

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish
#12 Posted : 6/7/2014 3:23:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've smoked a fair amount of full spectrum freebase rue in the last whenever-I-started-posting-here, and a fair bit of seeds as well.

They have the same relative effect on me, freebase is a LOT more effective per weight (obviously)... But the seeds have plenty of punch on their own if you set up a bowl full prior to vaporizing DMT, or as a MAOI in their own right.

I have a pretty damn good idea how my mood, sleep cycle, stress and diet affect my response to a given dosage, and I would estimate about 33% equivalency-ish. Seems about right in it's availability in an unprepared state.

All these posts are on behalf of Stimpy, my yellow bullhead. He is an adventurous fish, and I feel his exploits are worth sharing...so much so, I occasionally forget that HE is the one who does these things. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and write of his experiences in the first person; this is a mistake, for I am an upstanding citizen who never does wrong. Stimpy is the degenerate.

Shadowman-x
#13 Posted : 6/7/2014 8:05:21 AM

x-namwodahs

Senior Member | Skills: Relationship & emotional support/counselling

I'm curious about smoking / vaping HCl.
They don't think it be like it is, but it do.