CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT»
russian olive status ? Options

flutterbi
#101 Posted : 6/23/2011 12:12:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

this is so interesting. I live in Eastern Wa and there is russion olive literally everywhere so today im gonna go harvest some leaves and bark. Does anyone know how good of an MAOI is it? I ask because i've been using Cappi as an antidepressant so if R.O. is it could really help money wise and i love the idea of being able to harvest my own medicne. Thanks

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Dreammethodtool
#102 Posted : 6/23/2011 12:45:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Update:
The afore depicted HCL acidified solution was filtered.
Inspired by this technique, equal amounts of acetone was added to about 250ml of the solution. (The remainder of the solution was previously basified to see if anything would precipitate, but was unsuccessful. It will be re-acidified.)
Nothing occurred, but did not try refrigerating. (Will try next round)
Added salt until no more would dissolve. A mild fizzing reaction began to occur, and once this stopped the solution was placed in the fridge.

*15 mins later, there is a layer of fluffy tan/whitish precipitate gathering on the bottom*

Whether or not a difference was made with the addition of acetone is not known. Side by side tests will need to be done to see.
Also, I do not know if the A/B/A step (which resulted in massive dark precipitation, assumed to be impurities) assisted in allowing more to precipitate.
A new brew is boiling down to continue experiments.

All the above is in assumption that the precipitate is indeed harmalas, though it looks positive!

Dreammethodtool attached the following image(s):
P6220150.JPG (105kb) downloaded 712 time(s).

Ginkgo
#103 Posted : 6/23/2011 2:00:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Great work! Please also include information about what part of the plant is used for the extraction tests. Is leaves usable, or hard to work with?

SnozzleBerry
#104 Posted : 6/25/2011 5:16:05 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Here are what I found to be the most relevant papers on E. angustifolia (the last attachment deals with the Eleagnacea family as a whole and from what it indicates, I will be doing an extraction on the bark of E. umbellata soon). The Conclusion reads:
Quote:
The phytochemical study of bark from the six species
showed that H. rhamnoides, E. angustifolia, E. orientalis,
and E. umbellata can be promising natural sources of raw
material for the creation of drugs based on B-carbolines.

I have several papers I have not posted dealing with effects of the fruits and "fruit seeds" (by which I believe they mean seeds) as well as lipid compositions of the bark/leaves of E. angustifolia. If anyone wants these papers, just post as much in a reply and I will post them as well...they just seemed somewhat less interesting/relevant and I didn't want to clutter this post with a ton of PDFs.

Happy Reading
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

gazal
#105 Posted : 6/25/2011 11:20:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Phenolic compounds like catechines are MAO-B inhibitors too. Green tea extracts are said to let Mucuna Pruriens' L-Dopa release to reach the brain without being destroyed in the gut, with the result of a coca-like euphory.

Felnik
#106 Posted : 6/25/2011 3:49:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm glad to see i'm not crazy

this PDF : PHYTOCHEMICAL STUDY OF THE BARK OF SOME PLANTS OF THE ELAEAGNACEAE FAMILY AS A NATURAL SOURCE OF b-CARBOLINE INDOLE ALKALOIDS

confirms my own work with Elaeagnus umbellata ( Autumn olive ) showing active alkaloids.

its in the bark and the leaves, it works . I'm waiting for one of you to check it out .

my crude salt extraction of bark material shows significant activity .

recently a standard A/B on leaf material with naptha yeilded a beautiful red paste that is also active.

same extraction with xylene also yielded a redish paste that had significant activity as well.

there is something very different and clear about the effects. its synergy with spice is very strong.

for me its a totally new way to experience dmt .
Its a strange fresh clear direct experience, no fear or nausea whatsoever.
I don't yet understand the effects. I'm still trying to get a handle on whats happening.
At this point its still hard to believe but its effects are clearly felt.

The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

MelCat
#107 Posted : 6/25/2011 4:03:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for all of the work you guys have been doing with this plant. I'm really looking forward to trying some out for myself.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Dorge
#108 Posted : 6/25/2011 7:15:38 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

So yor fairly certain felnik that it's autumn olive you have been working with?
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Offical Changa web sitehttp://changa.esotericpharma.org/

Dorge
#109 Posted : 6/25/2011 7:19:57 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Damn that PDF costs https://springerlink3.me...sh=www.springerlink.com
35$ spendy
Dorge is cooperatively owned and cooperatively run by various hyperspacial entities working as a collabertive sentience project for the betterment of sentient exploration.

Felnik
#110 Posted : 6/25/2011 7:32:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Snozz posted that pdf a few posts back check it out .
It's very interesting . Yes everything I,ve seen is pointing
To autumn olive as the tree I,m working with.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

gazal
#111 Posted : 6/25/2011 9:31:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

TABLE 1.
Average Content of -Carboline Alkaloids in Bark of Plants from the Family Elaeagnaceae L. Growing in Russia (%), n = 5
B-Carboline_____________________________________Species_______________________________
______________________ H. rhamnoides E. angustifolia E. orientalis E. umbellata E. multiflora E. argentea
Harmane ___________________0.186______ 0.125 ______0.134 ____0.142 ____0.065 _____0.054
Dihydroharmane _______________0.122 _____0.109 ______0.097_____0.079 ___0.049 ______0.045
Tetrahydroharmane____________ 0.104______0.052 ______0.075 ____0.085____ 0.072 ______0.065
N-Methyl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-b-car. 0.007 ______0.021 ______0.026 ______–______ trace________ –
Tetrahydroharmol______________ 0.017 _____0.008 ______0.010 ____0, 005_____ trace_______ –
N-Methyltetrahydroharmol_________ – _______0.005______ 0.003______ trace_____ – _________ –

H. rhamnoides, well known for the adaptogen properties of its fruits is also the best source of magik alks !

SnozzleBerry
#112 Posted : 6/25/2011 10:33:43 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Felnik, can you link me to the post for your leaf extraction? My leaf extractions from E. umbellata using IPA and acidified water failed to fluoresce under blacklight, indicating a lack of harmalas, as far as I could tell. I collected a bunch of new/old growth E. umbellata on my nature walk today and will be testing the bark and leaves within the next week or two. What extraction method did you use for the leaves? I was planning on doing a caapi-style extraction on the bark, but wanted to try to mimic your extraction on the leaves to see what I can yield.

As a side note...papers comment only on bark content, not on leaves...I didn't see any papers on leaves, but I can look again and see if anything turns up.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Dorge
#113 Posted : 6/25/2011 11:19:47 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

Do we know of any psychopharmacological research on these compounds at all? Possible toxicity, and what not?

Dorge
#114 Posted : 6/25/2011 11:24:56 PM

Chen Cho Dorge

It looks like both autumn olive and Russian olive have similar enough compounds to work with though.

gazal
#115 Posted : 6/25/2011 11:27:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

E. angustifolia and E. orientalis are considered often the same thing. Their alks profile is the same, with a range of ±10% which I guess is a tolerance admissible among different individuals inside the same variety.
So E. Angustifolia\Orientalis has the best equipped alks profile.

SnozzleBerry
#116 Posted : 6/25/2011 11:30:04 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Dorge wrote:
Do we know of any psychopharmacological research on these compounds at all? Possible toxicity, and what not?

A BRIEF NOTE OF WARNING

Mydriasis just informed us in chat that harmane is potentially neurotoxic/carcinogenic...I'm going to try to do more research on this this week, there is such indication on the wikipedia page. If anyone knows about any of these compounds, any info would be appreciated. I'm going to go ahead and extract this week as well, but will hold off on bioassaying until we have more certainty on this.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Dorge
#117 Posted : 6/26/2011 12:00:09 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

That would be good to find out. It won't keep swim from a bioassay though.

SnozzleBerry
#118 Posted : 6/26/2011 12:18:02 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Eur J Pharmacol. 2009 Dec 21. wrote:

Electrophysiological characterization of harmane-induced activation of mesolimbic dopamine neurons.

Arib O, Rat P, Molimard R, Chait A, Faure P, de Beaurepaire R.

Laboratoire de Psychopharmacologie, Centre Hospitalier Paul Guiraud, 54 avenue de la République, 94806 Villejuif, France; Neurobiologie Intégrative des Systèmes Cholinergiques, Institut Pasteur, F75724 Paris Cedex 15, France.

It has been suggested that the beta-carbolines harmane and norharmane may be involved in the pathophysiology of Parkinson's disease, psychosis and addiction, but the mechanisms of these possible effects remain to be elucidated. In the present study, the effects of the two compounds were examined by using in vivo extracellular recordings of ventral tegmental dopamine neurons.

The effects of harmane (2mg/kg) and norharmane (2mg/kg), were compared to those of nicotine (11microg/kg), of cotinine (0.5mg/kg), of the monoamine-oxidase-A inhibitor befloxatone (0.12mg/kg), and of the monoamine-oxidase-B inhibitor selegiline (0.5mg/kg). The effects of harmane were also tested after pre-treatment with the nicotine receptor antagonist mecamylamine. The results show that all substances, except befloxatone, activate the firing and/or burst activity of dopamine neurons.

The increase in firing rate produced by harmane was approximately 18 times greater than that produced by nicotine. Such powerful excitation of dopamine neurons by harmane may in part explain its involvement in neurotoxicity, psychosis and addiction. The absence of effect of befloxatone supports the hypothesis that the effect of harmane is not related to its monoamine-oxidase-A inhibitory properties. Mecamylamine inhibited by approximately 80% the activity of harmane, indicating that the activating effect of harmane on dopamine neurons involves several mechanisms, among which activation of nicotinic receptors likely has a prominent importance. The results of the present study support the hypothesis that harmane could be a tobacco (or smoke) component other than nicotine involved in tobacco dependence

This one's a bit over my head (I'm trying to unpack it in bits and pieces but any help deciphering it would be much appreciated...the technical details are a bit rough on my brainbox Wink ): TOXICOKINETICS OF TREMOROGENIC NATURAL PRODUCTS, HARMANE AND HARMINE, IN MALE SPRAGUE-DAWLEY RATS

This one's a fairly easy read: Higher Blood Harmane (1-Methyl-9h-Pyrido[3,4-B]Indole) Concentrations Correlate With Lower Olfactory Scores In Essential Tremor

You know...as I look at these, I'm seeing a lot of comments on Essential Tremor being caused by harmala alks, which is something I think a lot of Nexians have experienced/commented on (or do these tremors not necessarily qualify as ET?)...are there any people with medical background that could maybe fill in some info on this, beyond what's provided on wikipedia?
WikiAttitudeFAQ
גם זה יעבור

Dorge
#119 Posted : 6/26/2011 2:19:39 AM

Chen Cho Dorge

I've read those same reports. Harmane is in tobacco I believe as well. There are contradictory reports here of harmalas treating parkinsons and curing cancer. I've a hard time thinking that these cause either. The research sited is still in the "may" category... Dubious.

flutterbi
#120 Posted : 6/26/2011 5:15:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

never mind, sorry if i broke any rules.
love and light
flutterbi

«PREV45678NEXT»