CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Poll Question : Blackout with Reddit, WordPress, Wikipedia etcc..
Choice Votes Statistics
Yeah 10 62 %
Nay 6 37 %

PREV123NEXT
Blackout Options

universecannon
#21 Posted : 1/14/2012 5:00:30 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Everyone who tries to visit the nexus during the blackout will become acutely aware of whats going on with SOPA and will experience just how serious its implications can be..along with ways they might be able to take action against it. Afterall, whats needed is greater awareness

you'll survive the withdrawls house..but many sites, yes possibly even the nexus, might not survive this SOPA crap

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

InMotion
#22 Posted : 1/14/2012 6:52:49 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

I don't understand the point of taking away 24 hours of internet freedom. Personally if people truly feel that all internet freedom will be taken from us, shouldn't we be doing the most with the limited amount of time we have left? I don't think CNN or MSNBC or FOX news will care or even know if dmt-nexus joined in.

Sure raising awareness is important, I just feel as though if Trav the owner and decider of the site felt strongly enough and wanted to send a personal message to every member or something about it. It would get even more attention. Many people are 'infrequent' on the forum and would not sign on that day anyways.

Maybe the message could show where petitions are, explain in general why ALL the other web-sites are down, etc.

Granted my opinion is an opinion and holds no bearing on any individuals reality. Don't give house and myself withdraws plz.

SnozzleBerry
#23 Posted : 1/14/2012 7:09:17 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

ms_manic_minxx wrote:
Trav already instinctively moved the site from *.com to *.me (animals generally don't stick around for tsunamis), maybe because, the site is worth saving?

I don't know, can anyone here say that they DON'T believe in a free internet? Freedom of information? Where would you be without it? The internet is, truly, the only level playing field We the People have!

Go outside, get some fresh air, make a nice dinner, read a book. The blackout is only for a few hours and it sends a POWERFUL message.

Again, freedom of internet. What's. Not. To. Support? A little blackout? No skin off your back, and a chance to open a ton of eyeballs.

Will people, years from now, really be able to find DMT--or ANYTHING else--if SOPA becomes a precedent?

F*CKIN' A MINXXY Very happy

Couldn't've said it better myself.

InMotion wrote:
Personally if people truly feel that all internet freedom will be taken from us, shouldn't we be doing the most with the limited amount of time we have left?

Yea, I think we should...but I don't see why the Nexus couldn't go dark for a day while I'm marching through DC dressed as an "android", getting petitions signed and attending conventions on FLOSS and alternate networking setups.

Honestly, I see no reason why there couldn't be a blackout and a message from Trav. I think that would be most effective at raising awareness (assuming Trav has both the desire and time to do so). Additionally, as (I think) Entro stated in the science/spirituality thread...it might serve as a good reminder to some that Trav can flick the switch on the Nexus and it can all go away.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

The Traveler
#24 Posted : 1/14/2012 8:10:13 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

I feel we should do this. With a clear message and links to protest sites we might make more people aware of this looming danger.

Though I think we should keep the link to the chat open so people can keep talking in the chat (also in case of medical emergency for example).

So name all the sites that we should have a link to. Smile

Kind regards,

The Traveler

vovin
#25 Posted : 1/14/2012 8:18:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

I'll look up what the others are doing traveler. Also if you are not 100% on a total blackout many are doing a splash page or a large banner. Life is all about doing your part and not waiting for someone else to come by and do it. If everyone dont just a little this whole world would be a better place, but instead you have a handful in the world giving 100% and the rest doing nothing and I am beginning to see those who are fighting realize they have their freedom it's yours they are fighting for and if you arent willing to fight for your freedoms then why should they.

Also I think some are under the assumption SOPA and PIPA wont effect the Nexus. Pretty much everyone here found this site on a search engine. Sopa requires all search engines to remove 'offending sites' from their searches and linking to a offending site is grounds to have your site blacklisted as well. That means no google, yahoo, etc for the nexus.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

InMotion
#26 Posted : 1/14/2012 8:31:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Sounds good to me Smile Cool idea for a march snozz, I'll have to see if anything local is going on near me.

I like the idea of a black-out splash-page a lot more than just not having the site up. If chat stayed open if someone did have an emergency(psychological/physiological) they could still get rapid feed-back, and you'd keep us chat junkies out of nexus withdraws as well Laughing .

edit - here are some links I can find they may not be all that good can't find any active petitions
http://en.wikipedia.org/...i/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act
http://www.fightforthefuture.org/pipa(pretty good video)

I did just read the whitehouse responded to the petitions? Didn't read through it all yet though
http://www.whitehouse.go...s-sopa-and-online-piracy

a1pha
#27 Posted : 1/14/2012 8:52:48 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

The Traveler wrote:
I feel we should do this. With a clear message and links to protest sites we might make more people aware of this looming danger.

Though I think we should keep the link to the chat open so people can keep talking in the chat (also in case of medical emergency for example).

I'm all for the idea of blacking out the Nexus with a clear message calling for awareness and action. Also, I very much like the idea of keeping chat open. Not only for emergencies, but members who aren't following the news can come in and ask questions about SOPA and Internet censorship in general. I think this is a brilliant idea, and I ask that my vote be changed from "Nay" to "Yay" for this plan.

The Traveler wrote:
So name all the sites that we should have a link to. Smile

https://www.eff.org/deep...on-guide-person-meetings

Or really anything from the following page:
https://www.eff.org/search/site/sopa
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

vovin
#28 Posted : 1/14/2012 9:02:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

only around 30 people started OWS and in a week it spread to the world. Who knows if we do this maybe the other ethogenic sites will floow suit. Maybe several celebrities will show up see it and say something. An army of a million consists of 1 million individuals. If all decided hey, I am just one guy what can I do there would be no army would there.

vovin
#29 Posted : 1/14/2012 9:07:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This site has been blocked in protest of the SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act) two bills which will allow the government censor the internet. Find out more at americancensorship.org or the video below. This website will return at XXpm.

Standard statement WordPress is using on all 60 million of it's sites. Honestly I think the statement should come from the community. We have some good writers here I think they would be happy to step up.
vovin attached the following image(s):
sopa.jpg (17kb) downloaded 131 time(s).

Noman
#30 Posted : 1/14/2012 9:11:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't see how the Nexus is about what SOPA is trying to prevent.
I think it would just dilute the message.

a1pha
#31 Posted : 1/14/2012 9:13:00 PM

It might also send a nice message to these kids worrying about archons and all that. SOPA & PIP & the NDAA are FAR scarier than some trans-dimensional whatever.

I'd even say, black out the forum for a week. Close registrations. Take some extremes. If trav is tired of it all, lets send a message to STOP. -- But keep chat open and facilitate dialogue.

Oh, and maybe we should not associate with anon?

a1pha
#32 Posted : 1/14/2012 9:16:45 PM

Noman wrote:
I don't see how the Nexus is about what SOPA is trying to prevent.
I think it would just dilute the message.

It has nothing to do with what it's trying to prevent, it has to do with the mechanisms they're trying to put in place, i.e., a government sanctioned DNS blacklist and the ability to prosecute foreign website owners on the basis of "questionable" activity. Right now it's piracy, tomorrow it's drugs.

InMotion
#33 Posted : 1/14/2012 10:00:52 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I also do not see how trav closing the site for a day has anything to do with anon either...

vovin
#34 Posted : 1/15/2012 5:31:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Craigslist has joined here's their SOPA page lots of info:
http://www.craigslist.org/about/SOPA

jbark
#35 Posted : 1/15/2012 5:44:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe a bunch of "DRUGGY" sites blacking out to protest SOPA might actually do more harm than good? It could be used as a reason that the internet needs MORE policing in the eyes of most. This is a reasonable and viable spin - if I were a government agency looking to promote SOPA, I would monitor all the sites that blacked out and gather the most nefarious (in the eyes of the general public) and make a list to publish in SUPPORT of SOPA.

In fact, if I was such a government agency, I would probably plant seeds all over the internet about a potential blackout in the hopes that some organization, like anon, would grab hold of the idea and do the rest of the promoting FOR me, to facilitate such a list with even greater effiiciency...

Gist Zayin',

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

The Traveler
#36 Posted : 1/15/2012 5:57:06 PM

"No, seriously"

jbark wrote:
Has anyone stopped to think that maybe a bunch of "DRUGGY" sites blacking out to protest SOPA might actually do more harm than good? It could be used as a reason that the internet needs MORE policing in the eyes of most. This is a reasonable and viable spin - if I were a government agency looking to promote SOPA, I would monitor all the sites that blacked out and gather the most nefarious (in the eyes of the general public) and make a list to publish in SUPPORT of SOPA.

In fact, if I was such a government agency, I would probably plant seeds all over the internet about a potential blackout in the hopes that some organization, like anon, would grab hold of the idea and do the rest of the promoting FOR me, to facilitate such a list with even greater effiiciency...

Gist Zayin',

JBArk

You mean the government does not know about the DMT-Nexus yet? Shocked

And Reddit and Wikipedia are also involved in this conspiracy? Laughing

Kind regards,

The Taveler

jbark
#37 Posted : 1/15/2012 6:59:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler wrote:
jbark wrote:

Gist Zayin',

JBArk

You mean the government does not know about the DMT-Nexus yet? Shocked

And Reddit and Wikipedia are also involved in this conspiracy? Laughing

Kind regards,

The Taveler

Ok, that second part was verging on conspiracy. But deliberately!Very happy

Anyway, I don't think the main point is laughable - of course they know about us. The point is that speaking up and protesting against a bill of which we are only very indirectly a target brings the wrong kind of attention unnecessarily. AND may just give them fodder for support. I am just saying, our contribution would be from minuscule to nil when weighed against the stakes.

If you were a communist in 50s america you might consider it a bad time to march for civil liberty... just as a gypsy might think twice about their timing protesting exorbidant government subsidies to the German military power and economic autarky in the 1930s.

Anyway, it IS speculation - I just thought we should look at the other side of the coin before tossing it. It's important to weigh losses and gains, potential or otherwise, particularly with actions of protest, no?

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

The Traveler
#38 Posted : 1/16/2012 10:48:12 AM

"No, seriously"

PROPOSED ANNOUNCEMENT:

DMT-NEXUS TO BLACKOUT ON JAN 18TH!

Martin Niemöller wrote:
First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

The DMT-Nexus is a community based on the free sharing of information about entheogens. It has grown over the years because we can freely exchange our information, knowledge and extraction teks. The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) in the Senate and Protect IP Act (PIPA) in the House gives copyright holders the ability to shut down sites that might be in violation of copyright laws and all with mere accusations and without due process. With these proposed laws any copyright owner can blackout this website when a member merely posts a copyrighted image or even a homemade video with only some copyrighted music in the background. When blacked out you can't find the DMT-Nexus online in the USA anymore and it will no longer show up in search engines like Google or Bing!

You can read more about these bills on Wikipedia.

On Januari the 18th, many sites (most notibly Reddit and maybe even Wikipedia) will 'blackout' as a protest to show the world what can happen if laws like this will pass. We had a debate among the senior members if we should support this action and join this blackout. In the end the decision was made that we should join this blackout since doing nothing is the worst that we can do, we have to speak out!

What will happen on Januari the 18th?

On that day, the whole DMT-Nexus site including the forum and the wiki will go offline and only show a protest page with links to more information about these dangerous bills and ways on how you can help to combat them.

The blackout will start at 8am EST and will end at 8pm EST.

The only thing that will remain operational is the login page and the chat. This was chosen to be able to help people with an emergency and to discuss the proposed SOPA and PIPA.

How can you help?

If you want to help out and get involved, Reddit has provided a great list of ways of how you can make an impact.

Lets hope that this worldwide protest will kick these absurd laws off the minds of the politicians!

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Enoon
#39 Posted : 1/16/2012 11:07:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Harm reduction, Analytical thinking

I love the statement Trav!!!!! I'm def. for this action!
Buon viso a cattivo gioco!
---
The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook - A handbook for the safe and responsible use of entheogens.
---
mushroom-grow-help ::: energy conserving caapi extraction

joedirt
#40 Posted : 1/16/2012 1:00:34 PM

Not I

۩ wrote:
uni wrote:
i don't see any reason why we shouldn't do it.

Simple. We aren't large enough to make a statement by this. Besides, you really want to give me withdrawals?????????????????

And my one vote won't matter?

It's not the size of the websites alone, but the number that join in.
I say do it. i mean I'm sure we could all use a little nudge to get offline for a day or so.

Peace
If your religion, faith, devotion, or self proclaimed spirituality is not directly leading to an increase in kindness, empathy, compassion and tolerance for others then you have been misled.

PREV123NEXT