We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Harmala-content in Caapi leaves? Options

Ginkgo
#1 Posted : 2/12/2010 12:30:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey,

I just vaporized a small amount of Caapi leaves, not expecting any effects, only to check how the taste is. I was, however, completely taken by surprise by the effects. I feel stimulated in my body and kinda sedated in my mind, and the music is notably wider... This is from maybe 0.1 g vaped!

I thought caapi leaves contain next to no alkaloids... Apparently I was wrong. Does anyone know anything about the usual harmala content in the leaves?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

69ron
#2 Posted : 2/12/2010 2:34:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

They do contain next to no alkaloids, but the little that's present is apparently very active when smoked.

Try smoking passionflower leaves. They contain only a tiny amount of harmala alkaloids, but are AS EFFECTIVE as caapi leaves when smoked.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

d*l*b
#3 Posted : 2/12/2010 2:37:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The leaves have been shown to have higher % alkaloids than the rest of the plant excepting the roots.

http://www.erowid.org/li...2_b_caapi_analysis.shtml
D × V × F > R

69ron
#4 Posted : 2/12/2010 2:45:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm sorry, d*l*b is correct. I was thinking about THH. THH is pretty absent from the leaves and abundant in the root, but harmine is abundant in both.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Ginkgo
#5 Posted : 2/13/2010 12:58:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you for that link! It seems that the only alkaloid present in the leaves is harmine. If we assume it was indeed 0.1 g I vaporized, a harmine content of 0.25 to 1.90% would mean I ingested anything between 0.25 and 1.9 mg. Oh my, then the harmala-alkaloids have an extreme potency when smoked! That actually means the potency is nearly comparable to oral LSD. Wow! What is the bioavailability of oral harmala-alkaloids? It must be extremely low...

69ron
#6 Posted : 2/13/2010 2:28:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Orally you need about 10 times the amount you need sublingually. Apparently harmine is even more active when smoked. Passionflower leaf contains very small amounts of harmala alkaloids, but is very effective when smoked. You don't need much. Apparently most of the harmala alkaloids are destroyed when smoked, so the dose you get from smoking them is even smaller than you think you’re getting.

Ginkgo
#7 Posted : 2/13/2010 2:39:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmm, very interesting! If some of the harmine is indeed destroyed by heat, this compound is actually comparable to LSD in potency. In what temperature is harmine destroyed? The melting point is 321 C, so I assume this is the temperature needed for a vaporization to be effective. Will this temperature also destroy part of the harmine? Or is it only a direct flame that will destroy it?

Ginkgo
#8 Posted : 2/18/2010 4:37:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

2%? That is ridiculously low. Then it should be around 20% sublingual, if it really is ten times stronger that way. Smoking is what, 80-90%? I really feel it is a terrible waste of good alkaloids to take them orally, if 98% of them just pass through your system... Does it last as long sublingual as it does orally?