We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
the number of galaxies in nothing Options

biopsylo
#1 Posted : 1/24/2010 3:58:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcBV-cXVWFw

edit: found this one in 3d:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVjF_7ensgthis came up in conversation with some friends last night, i love it

hubble deep field:

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

#2 Posted : 1/24/2010 4:37:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a copy of the ultra deep field framed on my wall. Mind boggling pictures!!
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

Virola78
#3 Posted : 1/24/2010 5:11:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Fascinating
BIG

makes me think of ants on a rock, someplace, sometime

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

#4 Posted : 1/24/2010 5:27:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Beautiful in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U
Oh great - the world has just been replaced by elf machinery.
Sic transit gloria mundi

WSaged
#5 Posted : 1/24/2010 6:46:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

1664, that video is awesome!!

Have you guys downloaded & checked out the "Sky" option in Google Earth?
It's free! HERE!!

So you can go up to the "View" menu & go down to the "Explore" sub-menu, from there you can choose "Sky" & the big picture turns around, out into the galaxy!!!

It is cool as hell! You can zoom waaaaaaaay out into the cosmos & realize that the little red star-looking-thing is actually another spiral galaxy light years away from us!!!

There is also options in the "Layers" column on the left side of the screen, called "Featured Observatories" to view the universe through:
"WMAP Microwave Sky" - showing the microwave radiation given off by what is out there!!
&
"IRAS - Infrared Sky"
- showing the heat signature of what is out there!! WOW!
(use this to go look at the thing near the farthest right leg of the constellation LEO, zoom in on what is making that giant heat signature....and then turn off the Infrared option....look how small the thing is that is giving off that much heat!!! Notice there is nothing else out there that looks anything like that anywhere!!)

Mind boggling to say the least!!!

BTW, you can also go "explore" the Moon & Mars with Google Earth too!!
They're cool too, but since I don't recognize anything at all, it's not as interesting as the Earth, or the freaking universe!!!
You can go check out 360 degree photos from the moon landings & see the landers & the places they went while they where up there.

Check it out!!!
WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

۩
#6 Posted : 1/24/2010 6:50:53 PM

WSaged wrote:
Have you guys downloaded & checked out the "Sky" option in Google Earth?
It's free! HERE!!

So you can go up to the "View" menu & go down to the "Explore" sub-menu, from there you can choose "Sky" & the big picture turns around, out into the galaxy!!!

It is cool as hell! You can zoom waaaaaaaay out into the cosmos & realize that the little red star-looking-thing is actually another spiral galaxy light years away from us!!!

There is also options in the "Layers" column on the left side of the screen, called "Featured Observatories" to view the universe through:
"WMAP Microwave Sky" - showing the microwave radiation given off by what is out there!!
&
"IRAS - Infrared Sky"
- showing the heat signature of what is out there!! WOW!
(use this to go look at the thing near the farthest right leg of the constellation LEO, zoom in on what is making that giant heat signature....and then turn off the Infrared option....look how small the thing is that is giving off that much heat!!! Notice there is nothing else out there that looks anything like that anywhere!!)

Mind boggling to say the least!!!

BTW, you can also go "explore" the Moon & Mars with Google Earth too!!
They're cool too, but since I don't recognize anything at all, it's not as interesting as the Earth, or the freaking universe!!!
You can go check out 360 degree photos from the moon landings & see the landers & the places they went while they where up there.

Check it out!!!
WS

A lot of the new cell phones have this option as well. I can't tell you how good it feels to point my cellular sexton at the horizon and know that almost every single planet is over there, and in a few hours, all will be dispersed...

WSaged
#7 Posted : 1/24/2010 7:11:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yea, my sister was just showing me some app on her I-Phone (or whatever) a few weeks ago, where she held it up to the night sky, in the back yard, it triangulated our position & showed a map of the stars & constellations that we were seeing above us. If we turned directions, it would turn with us in real-time, to follow what we were looking at physically, with what we were seeing on the screen, with names & explanations, etc...
Twas COOL!!!

I don't know if hers is able to then start zooming way out into the map/picture, etc...
but that would be cool as hell!!!
I'll have to check it out next time I'm over there.

WS
All posts are fictional short stories depicting the adventures of WSaged!! None of these events have actually happened and any resemblance to any real persons or incidents is totally coincidence!!!!!!!!!!!!

nodice
#8 Posted : 1/24/2010 7:24:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

World Wide Telescope is a pretty nifty program as well.

http://www.worldwidetelescope.org/Home.aspx
have you ever taken that ferry from San Francisco to Berkeley and looked back and seen that while in Berkeley, San Francisco doesn't exist?

Skizm
#9 Posted : 1/26/2010 2:41:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Space continually blows my mind, even when I'm sober. Once though, while going through a heavy trip I went from the Earth to the edge of the universe and kept on going. Outside of the universe were alternate dimensions that were packed together without our universe like atoms. Then they rolled up into a big sheet which made up the coils of time.
Life is a puzzle. Your parents fill in the edges and give you a starting point. The interesting thing about this puzzle is that one piece could fit in a million different spots and you will never fill it in. Try as you may, it will never be complete.

-Mi padre