We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Ayahuasca Retreats - South America Options

smokeydaze
#1 Posted : 5/20/2009 2:03:36 PM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

So I've been giving some thought into traveling to South America to experience the authentic DMT: Ayahuasca. I watched this video about a retreat in Peru, they have a website which outlines what they offer and has some pretty cool pics as well. Seeing all the pictures and simply imagining the vibe sent chills down my spine.

I just wanted to hear from people who have done this before - explaining where they went and what it was like.

Also if you know of any retreats located in South America which you would recommend, or have any related links, here is the place to post them.
SMOKE MORE DMT, SMOKE MORE DMT NOW

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Big Inhale
#2 Posted : 5/20/2009 5:58:16 PM

The Enlightend One

www.ayahuascafoundation.org seems like the one I would choose. The book on that site is an awesome read.
Can you Imagine? From one single Idea everything appeared here.
RZA

Here in the Prime Creators universe all things are possible,because all things are possible many lessons are learned.

None Of This Is Real!

smokeydaze
#3 Posted : 5/21/2009 12:53:52 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Thanks, I added some Brazil links as well. I didn't realise how expensive it would be, might just look for a short course. But then again spending 20 days in the jungle drinking Ayahuasca and fishing and learning about plant medicine sounds pretty dam good.

Leap
#4 Posted : 5/21/2009 3:08:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sounds amazing! I would do it in a heartbeat.. I'm pretty sure I'd shed a tear just stepping foot there, and likely baaaawww my eyes out leaving back to "normal" life. Pleased

The wife and I are moving to Japan for a year or two in about a year or so, I'm already looking forward to that enough to get myself all giddy! I can't imagine the excitement of going to South America! My love of dart frogs would also get me hot and bothered.
Nothing said on this account is true. It's all fictional for artistic writing purposes.

Universal Soldier
#5 Posted : 5/21/2009 6:13:26 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I got an email from the producer of the Spirit Molecule Documentary a few months back. He praises their visit to the Amazon Convergence:

http://www.amazonconvergence.com/index.php

smokeydaze
#6 Posted : 5/21/2009 7:22:07 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Yea seems they went to Espiritu de Anaconda which is on the list. Looks like a well established and nice place, the Ayahuasca room is impressively modern and appealing, but can't find much information on what's offered/prices.

Corto Maltes Amazonia and Ayahuasca Circle seem to have decent prices while The Four Gates claim "We have also reduced our prices, ensuring that this adventure remains far and away the best value for money of its kind (almost 25% cheaper than remotely comparable events)" and Ayahuasca Wasi offer one time participation for US$60. I don't mind paying for a good experience but feel US$2000, which is what some of the places are charging, is slightly excessive especially considering costs in Peru are allot cheaper than here.

But all that aside, keep the suggestions (experiences?) coming. Hopefully endlessness can lend some knowledgeable opinion when he get's back..

smokeydaze
#7 Posted : 5/24/2009 5:03:50 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

Just found a Ayahuasca Retreat thread already started with some good info, and useful links and information on the Ayahuasca forum. Looking briefly through the Connections and Events section I found odd bits and pieces which seem handy as well.

endlessness
#8 Posted : 6/10/2009 10:22:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would be careful with this...

We all know how set and setting affect an experience, and in ayahuasca sessions is no different. The figure of the shaman, or facilitator, can make such a difference, for good or for bad. Ayahuasca tourism in peru has gotten nearly ' mainstream' , and there are countless stories of charlatans, badly intentioned people or just inexperienced people with minimum knowledge of working with plants but leading rituals. I've heard that in Iquitos airport, just like there are the usual taxi and hotel hustlers, there are also those trying to lure you into taking ayahuasca with some or other "shaman". Then there is also the possibility of those mixing brugmansia or datura-kind plants in the brew, which has risks of its own.. So its important to be attentive to all of this.

One can choose a retreat with more famous shamans like guillermo arrevalo, but they are very expensive.

My case was quite different than yours, so its hard to advise as I never went to peru or any retreat of sorts.. My experience has been with indigenous people from Dreamland, where im from, but this particular tribe doesnt have something as organized as these links you gave, its necessary to have some sort of connection.

Maybe in your case I would try to organize some short retreat just to have something guaranteed, but then try to find something by myself, traveling to deeper in the jungle, trying to find some old shaman, off the beaten path, and trusting my feelings when meeting them to decide whether this is a person I want to take ayahuasca with or not. This also depends if you speak spanish (or secret language in case of Dreamland), which for sure makes big difference. But even if you dont speak spanish, I would still advise you NOT to pre-organize the whole thing, but to leave a couple of weeks free for changes... This way, there is room for possible spontaneous meetings with good (and cheap) local unknown shamans, and even if not, then you can just travel in peru/south america and see amazing different things.

and for sure try to find reviews from people who did go to these places...

Good luck, and tell us how it went if you do go Smile

smokeydaze
#9 Posted : 6/11/2009 1:35:36 AM

Dragunov Mylshka Teapot

I was thinking the same thing, thanks for you advice endlessness.

The Observer
#10 Posted : 12/19/2012 2:08:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is another link for an aya retreat outside of Iquitos, Peru

Looks like a very knowledgeable guy with a lot of medicinal herb experience.

Also, unlike many of the other places, you can go for as little as 3 days...........

Check it out...........

http://refugioaltiplano.org/testimonials/

Refugio Altiplano...........
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention by using totally fictitious verbiage...........

The above refers to the fictitious 'I'

lobo
#11 Posted : 12/19/2012 12:27:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you don´t have hurry...

In Agosto of 2013 have this event.. http://www.wasanyaka.blogspot.com.ar/

Agosto is the best month of the year to visit the jungle because the climate condition.

I know the shaman and people who organize this event... recomended!!Thumbs up

Anenergyhealer
#12 Posted : 12/24/2012 12:27:34 PM

London Shaman

Hello my friend,

I have just returned from Pucallpa in Peru. Was maybe 20 miles away from the city with a shaman named Romero. He is 74 which much knowledge of working with ayahuasca. He works with an apprentice, they are all very loving people and have so much love for the work they do. Isn't overpriced, it was for myself, $300 for a week with 3 ceremonies , food and lodging, being looked after well. Now, the apprentice's brother speaks english which was extremely helpful for me as I do not speak Spanish, Quecha or shipibo! Let me know if you would like more information and can send pix of where ceremonies were being held etc etc...

Blessings
Azim
Greazyyy

olympus mon
#13 Posted : 12/24/2012 5:06:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Tattooist specialized in indigenous art, Fine art, medium ink and pen.

Anenergyhealer wrote:
Hello my friend,

I have just returned from Pucallpa in Peru. Was maybe 20 miles away from the city with a shaman named Romero. He is 74 which much knowledge of working with ayahuasca. He works with an apprentice, they are all very loving people and have so much love for the work they do. Isn't overpriced, it was for myself, $300 for a week with 3 ceremonies , food and lodging, being looked after well. Now, the apprentice's brother speaks english which was extremely helpful for me as I do not speak Spanish, Quecha or shipibo! Let me know if you would like more information and can send pix of where ceremonies were being held etc etc...

Blessings
Azim

I also spent a few months outside of Pucallpa on Lake Yarnichocha with the Shipibo. There are many decent but grass root places in that region.

How ever 300 dollars a week is quite a lot. In fact more than double what the average.

I paid 350 soles ($135 dollars) a week for 3 meals a day, basic lodging, and as many ceremonies as you wished to attend. Some weeks there were 7 ceremonies a week, the least was 3 ceremonies in a week. I was there just over 2 months and the average was 4 ceremonies per week. Which btw was the most my body and mind could handle.

Not sure when your heading down here but good friend of mine, the most experienced and knowledgeable person about ayahuasca I have ever known and actually a fellow nexian has recently written me to tell me he and his wife have bought a nice property just outside of Iquitos and are building their maloka and guest houses now. They are already having ceremony but are not officially open yet.
Best part is they brought the most amazing shaman Emilio with them!!!! I cant say enough good things about Emilio. His icaros transcend space and time and his heart is beautiful encased in a warriors like stature.
Ive written many reports including my experiences with Emilio.
Also It looks like we may be moving up to their property in few months once our lease is up here in Cusco so i can tell yall how things have progressed up north.

I am not gonna lie, shits gonna get weird!
Troubles Breaking Through? Click here.
The Art of Changa. making the perfect blend.

MooshyPeaches
#14 Posted : 12/24/2012 8:08:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I once looked at the 'temple/way of light' ayahuasca retreat with passion a few years ago but since i run a business i would never be able to get a week or two off to do it.

The Observer wrote:
Here is another link for an aya retreat outside of Iquitos, Peru

Looks like a very knowledgeable guy with a lot of medicinal herb experience.

Also, unlike many of the other places, you can go for as little as 3 days...........

Check it out...........

http://refugioaltiplano.org/testimonials/

Refugio Altiplano...........

I just read everything on that site it rekindled my want to experience one of these retreats, as a person that works 7days a week for months on end and no vacations in site it would be PERFECT for me. ill have to do research on more of these places and find out the best spot that's more secluded/not too many people