We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Freeze precipitation questions.. Options

dictator
#1 Posted : 9/3/2008 2:20:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So after read for a few weeks SWIM is pretty confident with all the steps of DMT extraction except for the freeze precipitation part.. SWIM read so much about it, perhaps too much that everything SWIM reads seems to contradict the last. Anyhow here's the plans..

1. Make sure the freezer is COLD!

2. SWIM will be starting with approx. 300ml from SWIMS naptha pulls and will evaporate it in open air to around 50 - 75ml to supersaturate the naptha solution

3. SWIM will then pour the remaining supersaturated solution into a small glass baking dish (Should SWIM use air tight mason jars instead?)

4. tightly cover the baking dish with saran wrap (or jars w/ lids) and place into the freezer for a few days

Now we get to the part SWIM is worried about.

It's understood that it's necessary to quickly pour of the remaining naptha from the dish.. How concerned should SWIM be about the crystals redisolving into whatever naptha is not able to be quickly poured off?

At this point does one simply recover the dish an allow it to come up to room temp and then allow to evaporate in open air for a short period? Does one put the container in the fridge to bring it to room temp more slowly? Does one first scrape the crystals into a coffee filter and allow to dry?

SWIMS concern is getting stuck with a goo that will not recrystalize and lose everything.. Any input is appreciated.. Thanks for any help! Smile

-d

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 9/3/2008 2:54:31 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Quote:
SWIMS concern is getting stuck with a goo that will not recrystalize and lose everything.. Any input is appreciated.. Thanks for any help! Smile

SWIY (and any other SWIY that is trying extraction for the first time!) should be encouraged to do pilot small-scale extractions (i.e. 50g of MHRB) and get a first hand experience on how things may (or may not!) turn out.

And this is because each home extractor is using slightly different materials, slightly different techniques, slightly different containers and the best way to work out which is the best thing to do is to try for yourself! Many people wouldn't shed tears if 50g of bark are wasted, especially if the experience gained pays off for itself when a 500g-2kg extraction is attempted!

But re to your points,

1) one may find that some NP solvents may dissolve saran wrap. You would want to use an airtight container because you can exclude moisture from the environment which can get inside the NP solvent and may give the impression upon freezing that it is spice crystals (whereas is just water and it dissapears as long as the NP solvent thaws out)

2) SWIM has found that taller containers (id est jars) work better than baking dish for him

3) The naphtha can be poured off quickly and messy or slowly and gently. SWIM prefers to siphon it off using something like a turkey baster, then let the crystals on the bottom and sides to dry out. Others prefer to filter the naphtha something that SWIM's never tried... Just try to see what works better for you.

Do not forget that the naphtha will still have some spice after the crystallisation, so one can evaporate it further more, and re freeze-precip, or evaporate it completelyPleased

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

acolon_5
#3 Posted : 9/3/2008 2:56:21 PM

The Great Namah

Use a mason jar. It is so much easier to handle and there is much less risk for spills.

After freezing, pour out all the naphtha from one mason jar into another....once the majority of it is out I usually turn the spice jar upside down in a bowl or on another mason jar for 5-minutes or so. That way there is no naphtha to redisolve the spice.

I use the spent naphtha for my next extraction...that way I don't loose any of it and don't have to evap a bunch of naphtha (I also rarely reduce the initial naphtha volume, I just keep my pulls to 100-200ml each/kilo bark).

Good luck.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

dictator
#4 Posted : 9/3/2008 4:54:54 PM
DMT-Nexus member

acolon_5 wrote:
After freezing, pour out all the naphtha from one mason jar into another....once the majority of it is out I usually turn the spice jar upside down in a bowl or on another mason jar for 5-minutes or so. That way there is no naphtha to redisolve the spice.

SWIM has a bunch of mason jars, so perhaps SWIM will try that.. So once SWIM pours the naptha out, simply keep the jar upside down for 5 minutes in another container to drain the remaining naptha? I dont have to worry about the crystals disolving in that 5 minutes? At what point does SWIM start scraping those little guys out of the jar? Smile

Thanks!

-d

acolon_5
#5 Posted : 9/3/2008 7:09:07 PM

The Great Namah

dictator wrote:
acolon_5 wrote:

SWIM has a bunch of mason jars, so perhaps SWIM will try that.. So once SWIM pours the naptha out, simply keep the jar upside down for 5 minutes in another container to drain the remaining naptha? I dont have to worry about the crystals disolving in that 5 minutes? At what point does SWIM start scraping those little guys out of the jar? Smile

Thanks!

-d

As long as you drain it well, you should be fine. I've only had mine melt once, but I didn't let it sit upside down. You can recrystalize immediately, or simply let it dry as is for 1-2 hours, scrape and let dry again for 30minutes - 1hour (some solvent can get stuck under the crystal formations). After the second drying you are good to go!
The Spice extends life
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

dictator
#6 Posted : 9/7/2008 6:03:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

So SWIM did his first extraction this weekend and is doing the naptha pulls.. SWIM has the 1st 100ml pull in the freezer and within about 1/2 hour can see crystals forming! Smile SWIM guesses this is a good sign! 2 more pulls today as I'm letting them separate for about 5 hours each pull. SWIM will let the 4th pull sit for a few days as suggested by acolon.. Thanks a lot folks!

-d

P.S. grinding up 1 lb of MHRB is no easy task! Smile

moracca
#7 Posted : 9/7/2008 6:26:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dictator wrote:

I think grinding the bark was probably the hardest part of my extraction haha... I think next time I may opt for pre-powdered bark.

acolon_5
#8 Posted : 9/7/2008 7:42:26 PM

The Great Namah

dictator wrote:
So SWIM did his first extraction this weekend and is doing the naptha pulls.. SWIM has the 1st 100ml pull in the freezer and within about 1/2 hour can see crystals forming! Smile SWIM guesses this is a good sign! 2 more pulls today as I'm letting them separate for about 5 hours each pull. SWIM will let the 4th pull sit for a few days as suggested by acolon.. Thanks a lot folks!

-d

Congrats on the xtals! Grinding up bark is a serious pain!!!
The Spice extends life

dictator
#9 Posted : 9/9/2008 1:34:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Acolon, your advice worked like a charm! Thanks.. However, scraping the japs is another story.. What a f'in pain in the ass! Smile

-d

Darkbb
#10 Posted : 9/10/2008 11:52:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I have just done a 200g extraction and I am worried about the dmt becoming a goo.

The reason I am worried is because my dmt in the freezer inside a mason jar is mostly free floating and when I put this through my bandana I am worried that a big clump of dmt is going to be turned to goo because of the return to room temp and the naptha residing in the bandana and dmt.

Once I put my freezed naptha throught the bandana should I place the crystals onto a clean and dry bandana and then place that onto the top of a fan that is pointed down so air will flow through the bandana?

Another thing I am worried about is the dmt turning into dmt n-oxide. I plan on putting the dried crystals back into the freezer in a small glass mason jar. Is this a good idea and how do you swiys store your dmt (off topic sorry).

dictator
#11 Posted : 9/11/2008 12:41:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I was just in the same boat as you and was worried about losing crystals to the room temp.. I poured the jars i had in the freezer immediately into another jar with a coffee filter secured to it and was suprised that i didnt lose any crystals! To be honest, i'd rather scrape the crystals from the coffee filter rather than the mason jars! Much easier!

-d

Darkbb
#12 Posted : 9/11/2008 1:33:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I'll reply later in a new post with pictures from my extraction and the freeze precip.

nickesp94
#13 Posted : 7/24/2010 9:14:11 AM
DMT-Nexus member

okay dictator im in the same boat that you were in, i have no idea how to get crystals, im using the nomans can u discribe EVERYTHING after i separate the naptha from the lye/water solution lol thank you in advance. ps. when i get crystals can i store them in room temp.?

LucidJ
#14 Posted : 7/26/2010 4:24:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

If you are that worried about the solvent warming up.... Do it all in the freezer,

Pour the solvent off with you hands still in freezer. That's really overkill tho...

When you pour off the solvent a little bit is left on the crystals but that will evaporate when it warms.. it wont be enough to dissolve you xtals.

Mercury_Hg
#15 Posted : 7/27/2010 8:39:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nickesp94 wrote:
okay dictator im in the same boat that you were in, i have no idea how to get crystals, im using the nomans can u discribe EVERYTHING after i separate the naptha from the lye/water solution lol thank you in advance. ps. when i get crystals can i store them in room temp.?

Yes, crystals can be stored at room temperature. For longevity, it's recommended to convert to salt form. Apparently temperature isn't as important in keeping DMT stable.
Disclaimer: Everything I say is the truth.

shoe
#16 Posted : 10/6/2011 11:18:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LucidJ wrote:
If you are that worried about the solvent warming up.... Do it all in the freezer,

Pour the solvent off with you hands still in freezer. That's really overkill tho...

When you pour off the solvent a little bit is left on the crystals but that will evaporate when it warms.. it wont be enough to dissolve you xtals.

DO NOT attempt this, you will spill naptha and contaminate your freezer, worst idea ever. this warning needs to be propagated as even a badly secured
jar-lid can lead to spillage, and even one drop of naptha in a freezer will contaminate EVERYTHING and hang around for atleast a couple full freezer cleans afterward.
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Digi123
#17 Posted : 10/7/2011 8:18:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

shoe wrote:
LucidJ wrote:

DO NOT attempt this, you will spill naptha and contaminate your freezer, worst idea ever. this warning needs to be propagated as even a badly secured
jar-lid can lead to spillage, and even one drop of naptha in a freezer will contaminate EVERYTHING and hang around for atleast a couple full freezer cleans afterward.

Yea I think I should probably empty and clean my freezer, I normally do a gravity filtration inside the freezer but I've spilled some a couple of times.

Think I'm going to get a Buchner funnel and flask, set up a vacuum filter. Even if it's not necessary, It'll be fun, I'm a bit of a geek that way Razz
Joined at the soul with a pair of headphones

In an ocean of music, we move with the flow

You think that's air you're breathing now?

endlessness
#18 Posted : 10/7/2011 9:12:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shoe, why are you reviving old threads like this ? Its not like its an interesting discussion to continue, and this person most certainly isnt on the same extraction anymore...

dimitrious
#19 Posted : 8/16/2020 2:05:19 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Shoe, why are you reviving old threads like this ? Its not like its an interesting discussion to continue, and this person most certainly isnt on the same extraction anymore...

Actually, it is an important discussion, and it certainly could have gone further than it did. There's no use in constantly creating new threads about subjects that have already been brought up. It's a waste of time for everyone when threads are left to die solely because they aren't "fresh", or, "newer threads exist".

That's the worst aspect about any online forum, including the Nexus. You get these gatekeepers that lose their shit over the revival of old threads, but then when you post a new one, you get the same chodes throwing their arms up yelling "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!! IT'S THERE FOR A REASON!!@!"

If you're not interested in a thread, DON'T CLICK ON IT.

Oh yea, and I forgot.. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUMP.
Why are you looking hard with a hood on and timberland boots, staring at me for one hour, when you could walk up and shake my hand?
Why are you making those mean faces in your videos with the fish lens effects?
Why do you walk in the clubs with 30 people around you and stand in the corner, with big bodyguards for no reason?
Why do you pull up, in valet parking, with your benz, that is rented? Fronting on a cellular phone that doesn't work.
Why are you smirking up your face, making obnoxious facial scenes like I supposed to be scared?

Kyngwhatt
#20 Posted : 8/17/2020 8:15:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

dimitrious wrote:
Actually, it is an important discussion, and it certainly could have gone further than it did.

Alright where are we going with this thread?
The drug had completely altered their fundamental concept of reality