We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Acacia Identification Options

supernatural
#1 Posted : 8/25/2008 2:36:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys,

I'm needing some help to ID some Acacia trees. The ones growing all around me i'm pretty sure are not maidenii, obtusifolia or longifolia, but hoping someone can prove me wrong!

1. this is growing along the coastline in northern NSW -

1.b. tried to get a better close up...

and.. not sure if this QLD one is different to the NSW one,..

2. This is growing all over southern brisbane / northern gold coast in QLD -

2.b. and here's one of the whole tree... (sorry it's sideways)

Does anyone know what these species of Acacia are? Also if I need to keep looking further, what to look for, as in colouring of bark / shape of leaves etc?

I'll be very grateful for any info anyone would like to share on ID'ing Acacias for extraction.. Thanking you in advance Smile

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

supernatural
#2 Posted : 8/25/2008 2:56:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Also I thought I'd add these for comparison, pictures from worldwidewattle.com.

Acacia Obtusifolia:

Acacia Longifolia:

Acacia Maidenii:

..All of these seem to have more pointed ends on the leaves compared to the more rounded leaves on my trees... actually, no i looked again and tree 2 has pointed leaves... hmm.. can't wait to get some replies, see what you all think Very happy

Viracocha
#3 Posted : 8/26/2008 3:07:40 AM

..still lc..

Looks like a A.maidenii
Looks a lot like A.longifolia also but the phyllodes are a little too stubby

I'd say definitely not A.obtusifolia; obtusifolia phyllodes are unmistakable

supernatural
#4 Posted : 8/28/2008 11:28:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks Coshi,

A.Maidenii, that's sounding like what i wanted to hear, Guess there's only one good way to find out hey Wink

Viracocha
#5 Posted : 8/28/2008 3:17:34 PM

..still lc..

No worries mate
Looking on wiki and other sources, it doesn't look like a.longifolia and a.obtusifolia even grow up as high as you are. Unfortunately for you though, a.obtusifolia is the business

I could be wrong here, those first two pics you posted look like a.maidenii to me, but that last one especially certainly doesn't! It's from the same tree?

To help you ID, you can also consider flowering times
When did you take those pictures?
Check if your flowering times match those given on www.worldwidewattle.com

Also, you should send an email enquiry to David Cameron at DSE
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/
Just call the main number and they should be able to put you through
Very kind helpful guy, I'm sure you'll find your answer with him

D_Juggz
#6 Posted : 8/31/2008 4:57:20 AM

Dr Do Little

That looks very similar to the acacia trees we get around my town. I've narrowed them down to a few, but since i've been for a few bushwalks, i've realised that there are literallly hundreds of different species of acacia in this area, but they all look very similar, its almost impossible to put a name to them with the info i've found on WWWattle abd be a 100% sure.
U'd have to post up a pic of the pods, (look on the ground for last season's if its not seeding now)
And would also be good if u could get a macro shot of the leaf in good light so u can check for patterns on the leaf that help ID the plant.

These are the following trees i think that could be:

Acacia auriculiformis
http://www.worldwidewatt...l=a&id=20546&o=3

Acacia julifera or one of its subspecies.
http://www.worldwidewatt...ciesgallery/julifera.php

best way is to peel 2kg of bark of that tree and mass tech it down to see how much alkaloid is in it. if u strike it lucky u'll end up with 2-5g of DMT.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
-Confucius

"Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all share the same dreams"

D_Juggz
#7 Posted : 8/31/2008 10:08:11 AM

Dr Do Little

They definitely look like to different species.
The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat.
-Confucius

"Under the skin of our lives; somewhere deep and early, forgotten, we all share the same dreams"

supernatural
#8 Posted : 9/1/2008 11:52:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah, i thought they were two different species too. The 1st two pics are a different tree to the 2nd pics; the 1st 2 were from a tree in coastal northern nSW, the 2nd 2 from one of the thousands of its type in my area, sub-coastal south east qld. I was thinking the first one may be maidenii; though the flowering times don't quite match. I'm more interested in the 2nd two pics, as these are what's everywhere around me..

I've ruled out the two species you suggested, D_Juggz, - A. Julifera because the flowering times don't match (These are in full flower now, Aug / Sept) and A. Auriculiformis only grows in northern Qld and northern NT.

However, i have found after doing a bit more research, a possible match to my trees - A. Longifolia subspecies Sophorae "Coast Wattle" which apparently grows all along the australian coast from SA to Nth Qld, flowers July to Oct, and the phyllodes also match the description.

I really need to check out the seed pods under the trees, and try get some good close up pics of the leaves now, so will post my findings once i've done that.

What will be interesting to know though, is whether the A. Longifolia subsp. Sophorae is a DMT containing species...

Also thanks Coschi for that contact, i'll give him a try too once i have a better description of leaves and pods..

Volcanicplug
#9 Posted : 9/4/2008 12:24:17 PM

Nigel

Hey Supernatural, I live in northern NSW/SEQ and have seen both of these species in abundance near the places I live. I am almost certain that the first species is Acacia sophorae (Coastal wattle) and the second Acacia concurrens (Late flowering black wattle). According to the Herbalistics website Acacia concurrens gives a +++ alkaloid test from bark (http://www.herbalistics.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=3_31&products_id=425)
Hope this helps)Cool

lorax
#10 Posted : 9/10/2008 12:29:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

can mimosa hostilis be easily grown in mid europe?
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. And I'm asking you, sir, at the top if my lungs.. (all posts are fictional and are intended for entertainment purpose only)

supernatural
#11 Posted : 9/17/2008 11:57:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Volcanicplug wrote:
Hey Supernatural, I live in northern NSW/SEQ and have seen both of these species in abundance near the places I live. I am almost certain that the first species is Acacia sophorae (Coastal wattle) and the second Acacia concurrens (Late flowering black wattle). According to the Herbalistics website Acacia concurrens gives a +++ alkaloid test from bark (http://www.herbalistics.com.au/shop/product_info.php?cPath=3_31&products_id=425)
Hope this helps)Cool

Hey Volcanicplug,

awesome, thanks for that, i thinks you are right; i checked the description of a.concurrens on worldwidewattle and the leaves have the same characteristics. good to know i was on the right track .. now to find out just how +++ these alkaloids are!

(I never could find any seed pods under those trees though, figured they've just broken down already since last time they dropped)

...um, cheech, did you mean to post that in this thread?

sauroman1
#12 Posted : 9/21/2015 9:18:45 PM

Anybody from Lisbon?

Hello, I found trees looking very much like acacia longifolia growing near coast of Almada but I have no idea how flowers looked like. I heard these trees area invasive plants in Portugal. Here are some photos (sorry for quality, made with phone):