We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Are these Coriolus versicolor (Turkey Tail)? Options

Dimitrius
#1 Posted : 10/8/2010 1:34:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

.....I read on a website that they have pores on the underside, but that they were so small they couldn't be seen with the naked eye....or at least that's what I think I remember reading. I have lots of these on a log near my house.

Dimitrius attached the following image(s):
_DSC0379.JPG (6,294kb) downloaded 146 time(s).
_DSC0385.JPG (3,657kb) downloaded 146 time(s).
_DSC0384.JPG (3,227kb) downloaded 146 time(s).
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

"Only from the Heart can you touch the sky." ~ Rumi

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jbark
#2 Posted : 10/8/2010 1:46:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks like trametes versicolor (sp?), or turkey tail. Not familiar with coriolus and don't know if the two are the same. Trametes versicolor is incredibly common, so it is likely that. I have tons of it up here at my chalet in quebec. Supposed to be medicinal, but make sure of a proper ID before ingesting (as with any mushroom!)

JBArk
JBArk is a Mandelthought; a non-fiction character in a drama of his own design he calls "LIFE" who partakes in consciousness expanding activities and substances; he should in no way be confused with SWIM, who is an eminently data-mineable and prolific character who has somehow convinced himself the target he wears on his forehead is actually a shield.

Dimitrius
#3 Posted : 10/8/2010 2:06:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think they are same, Trametes versicolor and Coriolus versicolor.

It sure does look like it. There's some smaller ones that have a bit darker colors and are looking exactly like some of the pictures I've seen.

I would like to make a tea out of them, but yeah, I'm not going to do anything with being absolutely sure they are Turkey Tail. I have a supplement I can go buy if I REALLY wanted to take it everyday, but I want to try the wild thing.

Maybe I'll go down there in a little bit and get pictures of the rest of them, as they are growing on the log.
"Within your heart is a lotus, and within this lotus is a diamond. This diamond is the source of creation, and in all the creation, there is only one lotus."

Dimitrius
#4 Posted : 10/9/2010 4:29:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So I took some more pics. I hope they're pretty good.
_DSC0386.JPG (4,154kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
_DSC0387.JPG (4,024kb) downloaded 127 time(s).
_DSC0398.JPG (5,615kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
_DSC0402.JPG (5,229kb) downloaded 125 time(s).
_DSC0409.JPG (4,571kb) downloaded 126 time(s).
_DSC0410.JPG (4,376kb) downloaded 126 time(s).

Dimitrius
#5 Posted : 10/9/2010 4:39:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

So yeah, that's them. I hope they're identifiable.

۩
#6 Posted : 10/9/2010 5:33:49 PM

oh lawdy
these are some of my favorite shrooms! they are so beautiful and abundant.
you're all clear to start chewin 'em like gum! or tossing them into some tea with some elderberry brandy when you're sick. antibiotic fungus powers, GO

go for the young flexible guys. what a kickass mushroom!

Dimitrius
#7 Posted : 10/9/2010 5:37:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
oh lawdy
these are some of my favorite shrooms! they are so beautiful and abundant.
you're all clear to start chewin 'em like gum! or tossing them into some tea with some elderberry brandy when you're sick. antibiotic fungus powers, GO

go for the young flexible guys. what a kickass mushroom!

Are you sure? I wanna be sure.

Cause I'm gonna make a strong-ass decoction out of them if they are Coriolus Versicolor... *also known as Trametes versicolor (for other peoples' knowledge sake Wink )

۩
#8 Posted : 10/9/2010 5:39:39 PM

Tell me about this strong ass decoction of yours. I am curious.

And yes I am sure. Have you never used them before? Why not try chewing a piece like gum (takes a bit to get used to the flavor unless you love shrooms) just to make sure you have no bad reaction. I have never read about any sort of negative reaction at all from these shrooms so I wouldn't be worried in the least.
The only other mushroom that looks like them are false turkey tails which have pretty much the exact edible/medicinal profile.

Dimitrius
#9 Posted : 10/9/2010 5:47:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Tell me about this strong ass decoction of yours. I am curious.

And yes I am sure. Have you never used them before? Why not try chewing a piece like gum (takes a bit to get used to the flavor unless you love shrooms) just to make sure you have no bad reaction. I have never read about any sort of negative reaction at all from these shrooms so I wouldn't be worried in the least.
The only other mushroom that looks like them are false turkey tails which have pretty much the exact edible/medicinal profile.

Yeah, I've never tried them before, but I've been looking into the medicinal msuhroom extracts, such chaga, maitake, cordyceps, reishi, etc... and I kept hearing, "Coriolus", when I would ask which one should I take...haha, but I would never buy the Coriolus anyway. I'd buy Chaga, 5 Mushroom blend, and Cordyceps, but never the Coriolus. No wonder, it's right here in my backyard! ...well, front yard to be exact.

But uhhh, yeah. I think I have false Turkey Tail here too. They look VERY similar, but they have these like, furry fang kinda "gills" underneath...not gills, but...like, I don't know...furry, sticking-out things. (I know, great description)

The decoction: I'm going to boil em' up for about 30-40 minutes in a glass pot and that's it. Strain and drink. Eeee. Very happy

۩
#10 Posted : 10/9/2010 5:55:45 PM

When I get sick I'll take it a few times daily until I start feeling better, then load up on probiotics the next week to balance it out.

Dimitrius
#11 Posted : 10/9/2010 6:19:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
When I get sick I'll take it a few times daily until I start feeling better, then load up on probiotics the next week to balance it out.

Way to do it right there. Wink

It's what I need to do. In fact, I think I'm going to do it. Starting today, when I get my special pot clean from the dishwasher.

While we're at it, check out these Morning Glories ('Heavenly Blue' Smile) that occur naturally here...that or somebody planted them here, but either way, it's all natural to me!)....Where do the seeds come out on these things? Very happy
_DSC0320.JPG (4,221kb) downloaded 105 time(s).

۩
#12 Posted : 10/9/2010 6:28:56 PM

I've been watching out for seed pods that come from those vines but I have yet to find any.
There are vast acres of them where I live, I can't wait to find some seed pods.
Just to ID and say...cool...powerful plant...and walk away smiling

Dimitrius
#13 Posted : 10/9/2010 6:52:24 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Just to ID and say...cool...powerful plant...and walk away smiling.

Haha, yeah, I've been doing that every time. I tilt my head, make a little smirk noise and say, "Thih (< that's the noise), Morning Glories...a beautiful plant. Powerful medicine. I love blue." lol, I do love blue.

I have Lemon Balm plants everywhere here too. Good medicine. If I ever get a virus, or anyone else does, ...go get the Lemon Balm and make a tea or a macerated juice. And the versicolor! haha.

Look people, the medicine is right around you, if you're lucky enough (and I am blessed indeed), but you have to go look and learn...and listen. The earth, she speaks...and she sometimes says, "Coriolus", in a whispery and not so exact as to where it's at and how to use it...voice.

Dimitrius
#14 Posted : 10/22/2010 1:58:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I should use the smaller, younger ones on the right, correct?

_DSC0420.JPG (3,801kb) downloaded 72 time(s).
_DSC0421.JPG (3,372kb) downloaded 71 time(s).

۩
#15 Posted : 10/22/2010 2:58:48 PM

I always just use whatever looks and feels best.

Dimitrius
#16 Posted : 10/23/2010 6:30:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Definitely the ones on the right then. They are fresher.

۩
#17 Posted : 10/23/2010 5:14:34 PM

Also, I let them sit and air out for a few days then throw them in jars. They keep a long time, and smell really interesting when you open them up.

Dimitrius
#18 Posted : 10/23/2010 5:27:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Also, I let them sit and air out for a few days then throw them in jars. They keep a long time, and smell really interesting when you open them up.

Hmmm, you mean let them dry first, right?

They're going to get moldy if I close em' up in a jar before drying them, aren't they?

By the way, check this out....A mini snake in the midst of Coriolus on a huge, fallen top-half of a tree....This is on different land, about an hour away from where I live.
_DSC0417.JPG (5,976kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

۩
#19 Posted : 10/23/2010 5:32:02 PM

wow that is such a cool picture! I would be ecstatic to find a mini snake like that roaming around on a turkey tail log. (even more ecstatic if those were Oysters!)

something tells me you could probably store fresh turkey tails in a jar...they seem very resilient to those kinds of things...but when I harvest bulk I always air them out a little while before hand. Not cracker dry, but right before.
I don't really know the proper way to do so, I just kind of do what feels right.

shoe
#20 Posted : 10/25/2010 6:32:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thankyou Dimitrus, Learning more wild mushrooms is one of my ambitions.
Recently I found hundreds of yellow russulas,

and purple russulas,
as well as a giant charcoal burner and a couple
Boletus. they're quite easy to spot because unlike most other mushrooms they have a spongey underside full of pores, instead of gills. they were pretty good fried with tonnes of oil and garlic. The russulas supposedly are not so nice since they do have a bit of a peppery twang, but i'd eat them just for the taste. It actually tastes a little like when you eat a tiny trace of sodium hydroxide.
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

12NEXT