We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
potassium carbonate? Options

crexx21
#1 Posted : 7/5/2010 5:59:33 PM

charles

SWIM has ph up from a general hydroponics store and it is based of KOH and potassium carbonate, Is it possible to use this and still reach a ph close to 14 and not ruin the final product?
DISCLAIMER:SWIM is a crazy man who has been driven to insanity by women and nothing he says or asks should be taken seriously, same thing with crexx21, he too is insane and delusional and should seek help.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SnozzleBerry
#2 Posted : 7/5/2010 6:07:28 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Dude, I just realized all these posts are you. Why don't you look around a bit instead of making so many nearly identical posts.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

crexx21
#3 Posted : 7/5/2010 6:09:42 PM

charles

I know, all i want to know is if ph up with potassium carbonate in it will screw me up?

-I felt bad about posting a third time but i had just found out what the second ingredient was in the ph up and thats what i was basically trying to find out in the last one and now im trying to figure out if it is bad so i am not just repeating the exact same thing my freind.
DISCLAIMER:SWIM is a crazy man who has been driven to insanity by women and nothing he says or asks should be taken seriously, same thing with crexx21, he too is insane and delusional and should seek help.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 7/5/2010 7:53:58 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

crexx21 wrote:
I know, all i want to know is if ph up with potassium carbonate in it will screw me up?

-I felt bad about posting a third time but i had just found out what the second ingredient was in the ph up and thats what i was basically trying to find out in the last one and now im trying to figure out if it is bad so i am not just repeating the exact same thing my freind.

patassium carbonate is also a base, just as sodium carbonate and can be used to raise the pH.

Albeit in theory there should be no problem whatsoever adding both bases (potassium hydroxide and potassium carbonate) to basify a solution, SWIM has not heard it if has been used as such. Theory says it will be OK. Practise says "???" And the GIGO principle says garbage in, garbage out.

The important point is to know exactly the amount of KOH and K2CO3 in this pH up solution. It may be primarily potassium carbonate with traces of potassium hydroxide. The latter composition would make sense since potassium carbonate can be easily buffered and one can difficultly overshoot the pH with it. Some potassium hydroxide, a strong base may be used in much smaller amounts to give a "boost" to the potassium carbonate.

If the latter is the case, then this solution will be OK for A/B but not an STB. But still, who knows? We could be arguing the issue for ages if you want. Better though, go find pure lye or pure potasium hydroxide and save youtself headaches.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

crexx21
#5 Posted : 7/5/2010 9:03:20 PM

charles

thank you, SWIM does not know whether he needs to put in a certain amount of the solution or just till the ph of the water is at 14 or close, got a ph meter.

Infundibulum
#6 Posted : 7/5/2010 9:53:18 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

crexx21 wrote:
thank you, SWIM does not know whether he needs to put in a certain amount of the solution or just till the ph of the water is at 14 or close, got a ph meter.

What is the pH of this pH-UP solution to begin with?

If it is less than 14, then it'll be impossible for you to basify MHRB to a pH of 14. My guess is that the pH-UP solution you have will have a pH or around 12, 13 maximum. If you really insist on using the solution you have please report your pH meter's reading of the unadulterated pH-UP solution so we'll give you feedback on what you can do and what not, OK?

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

crexx21
#7 Posted : 7/7/2010 3:21:02 PM

charles

it is all good now, SWIM wont even need to use that solution because SWIM finally found a close source of lye.Smile

stoned2676
#8 Posted : 11/14/2010 2:58:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The PH Up solution form General Hydroponics has a PH of 14 and contains potassium carbonate and potassium silicate.

The PH Down solution from General Hydroponics has a PH of 1 and contains phosphoric acid, citric acid, and mono ammonium phosphate.

The contents that are listed here are listed the same on the bottle. The percentages are not give with either solution. Swim will search the site and try a test, but if anyone knows if the other chemicals in either solution will cause problems please advise.

stoned2676
#9 Posted : 11/14/2010 3:04:27 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is a topic I found about the PH Down. In short, yes it can be used.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me....aspx?g=posts&t=2822