We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV1234NEXT
Mythbusters of D M T Options

۩
#41 Posted : 4/16/2010 3:44:28 AM

Even if we can't debunk the myths

let's at least address them and inform the readers they are what they currently are

Smile

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Blundering_Novice
#42 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:04:02 AM
DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Even if we can't debunk the myths

let's at least address them and inform the readers they are what they currently are

Smile

They aren't yet myths if you cant debunk them. You're making a presupposition!

Anyway, I *THINK* your intent is to provide a list of "Fact vs Suspicions/Theories vs Unlikelihoods." In which case your efforts are valid and easily supportable.

Blundering_Novice
#43 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:05:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

According to the unsubstantiated theories, DMT is released into your brain during death. If this WAS true, how could we expect to find DMT in the pineal glands of corpses?

۩
#44 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:20:49 AM

Quote:
Anyway, I *THINK* your intent is to provide a list of "Fact vs Suspicions/Theories vs Unlikelihoods." In which case your efforts are valid and easily supportable.

You knew exactly what I meant...

Blundering_Novice
#45 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:23:12 AM
DMT-Nexus member

۩ wrote:
Quote:

You knew exactly what I meant...

No, I did not. I am not in the business of relying on assumption, my friend. Specifics are important when discussing these matters.

Blundering_Novice
#46 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:33:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Furthermore, and with all due respect, when I read your comment in this thread https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=10022 I'm a bit surprised that you too aren't agreeable with the notion of choosing our words carefully. I'm not intending to pick a fight with you so don't take any of this personally.

burnt
#47 Posted : 4/16/2010 8:41:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

There is no evidence that:

DMT is made in the pineal.

That DMT is involved in dreaming (numerous other neurotransmitters have meanwhile been shown to be involved in dreaming specifically acetylcholine, just think hippocampus where your memories are sorted is filled with acetylcholine neurons).

DMT links you to spiritual realms. There isn't any evidence these realms exist outside the mind.

The MAOI diet has been exaggerated with harmine and harmaline although the advice is still important there is no need to fast for days for example before taking them.

obliguhl
#48 Posted : 4/16/2010 9:51:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
DMT links you to spiritual realms. There isn't any evidence these realms exist outside the mind.

Rolling eyes

endlessness
#49 Posted : 4/16/2010 10:13:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

lack of evidence is not evidence of lack Very happy

in any case I do think its important that it is clear to people what are the speculations and what are the things we know for sure, so this would be interesting for the CEL ebook... Amongst the commonly believed-as-true speculations are, as mentioned, dmt connection with dreams, NDEs, spirits and pineal gland. Lets just be careful in how we state it because as argued already, just because some things are only speculation doesnt mean they are necessarily wrong (although they might very well be wrong, so its good to be aware of it and be prudent) Smile

Blundering_Novice
#50 Posted : 4/16/2010 10:30:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
lack of evidence is not evidence of lack Very happy

in any case I do think its important that it is clear to people what are the speculations and what are the things we know for sure, so this would be interesting for the CEL ebook... Amongst the commonly believed-as-true speculations are, as mentioned, dmt connection with dreams, NDEs, spirits and pineal gland. Lets just be careful in how we state it because as argued already, just because some things are only speculation doesnt mean they are necessarily wrong (although they might very well be wrong, so its good to be aware of it and be prudent) Smile

This is precisely what I was trying to convey. I regret not doing so as diplomatically as you did. Smile

burnt
#51 Posted : 4/16/2010 1:10:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Extreme Chemical expertChemical expertSenior Member

Yes I understand lack of evidence does not say whatever proposition is real or not or more likely true or not likely to be true. But contradictory evidence IS!

If other neurotransmitters are shown to be involved in dreaming and dmt thus far hasn't then both propositions are then not equal. The argument that its not involved has more weight to it. The argument that it is involved has little to no weight. However before I will fully commit to that line or argument I myself and I think we here need to do our homework.

The same goes for the pineal gland theory. There is contradictory evidence. Again before we make the claim we should do our homework although some of us have and it seems clearer now.

The same goes for spiritual realms. This depends on how someone defines spirituality of course! But I will say this it belongs in the myth category for the same reasons "demons" causing disease is in the myth category. Until some aspect of the DMT experience cannot be explained naturally then you can start thinking about expanding the category of what is natural phenomenon. Until then one should try to explain the effects of dmt naturally.

The same goes for harmaloids and diet. We here have gathered contradictory evidence and the MAOI-A and B mechanism backs it up.

amor_fati
#52 Posted : 4/16/2010 5:13:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The fact of the matter is that people still refer to the presence of endogenous DMT in the pineal gland and the presumed role of DMT in dreaming and in near-death experiences as if it has already been proven, ironically, even within this thread. This is based on little more than faith born out of a long history of superstition regarding the role of the pineal. Strassman sought to reconcile that superstition via scientific method but has failed to do so, and moreover, the theories have been turned on their head by hard evidence. Yet the theories persist as though this evidence has not been mounted against them and as though they have some empirical basis. This is misinformation, and that it's generally accepted as fact or even as reasonably plausible and disseminated as such makes it a myth. The theories have propagated on little more than popular appeal, and this alone is reason enough to assert their lack of substantiation.

As far as accessing a higher and externally persistent spiritual plane, the simplest and most reasonable explanation would be physiological similarity between individuals of the same species as well as cultural commonalities shaping their experience and perception of the universe. It seem self-evident to me that higher doses of a psychedelic substance would result in a consistent sort of experience between individuals, as that substance would be granted more weight in determining the quality of one's perception than would one's unique neurochemical makeup.

I'm veering off-topic a bit, but I would liken this effect to an instrument capable of only one specific musical function. Though it may be used in different songs, the louder it becomes in each, the more similar they will sound. It can be interesting to implement modestly in a large number of songs to "spice" things up, but when it comes to the forefront, the result isn't going to vary much; however, sometimes that instrument can be augmented in various ways to change it up a bit, but the really interesting results would arise when the rest of the instruments adapt to the strength of that one instrument, becoming louder themselves, and playing off of that instrument in new and different ways.

Blundering_Novice
#53 Posted : 4/17/2010 2:04:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

That's a very, very good analogy, amor_fati. Excellent.

fourthripley
#54 Posted : 4/17/2010 10:55:45 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Where on earth could this myth come from?

Quote:
I have also heard that consuming DMT makes muscles appear in your face that we arent meant to have any more? Whether its true or not, I dont know?

http://www.psychonaut.com/post-37172.html?f=36

I really want to knowSmile
mistakes were made

Blundering_Novice
#55 Posted : 4/18/2010 12:02:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

fourthripley wrote:
Where on earth could this myth come from?

Quote:
I have also heard that consuming DMT makes muscles appear in your face that we arent meant to have any more? Whether its true or not, I dont know?

http://www.psychonaut.com/post-37172.html?f=36

I really want to knowSmile

I've never, ever heard anything close to that. Nor have I heard of people going to psych wards over DMT. LSD, yes. But not DMT. I'm not saying its impossible, but I'm quite skeptical of the claims on that thread.

deamsterphile
#56 Posted : 4/18/2010 12:09:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I believe it states(in The Spirit Molecule) that DMT has been found in the pineal of every mammal tested

Blundering_Novice
#57 Posted : 4/18/2010 12:19:29 AM
DMT-Nexus member

deamsterphile wrote:
I believe it states(in The Spirit Molecule) that DMT has been found in the pineal of every mammal tested

No, I think it said it's in the bodies somewhere, but Stallman doesn't claim to be sure. In fact, I remember reading that he got access to several human corpses and checked the pineals and found nothing. But the bodies weren't fresh....and as I've stated elsewhere *IF* DMT is released into the brain during death, we wouldn't EXPECT to find any DMT in the pineal glands of corpses!

deamsterphile
#58 Posted : 4/18/2010 6:21:47 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
DMT exists in all of our bodies and occurs throughout the plant and
animal kingdoms. It is a part of the normal makeup of humans and other
mammals; marine animals; grasses and peas; toads and frogs; mushrooms
and molds; and barks, flowers, and roots.

He does not site a reference for this statement but it is stated in this context in his book as a fact and not an opinion.

Whether it is documented or not...

endlessness
#59 Posted : 4/18/2010 6:27:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

can you give the specific quote or page please? Ive read it and im pretty sure he does not state as a fact that dmt is in the pineal as you said

deamsterphile
#60 Posted : 4/19/2010 1:09:34 AM
DMT-Nexus member

that was the quote

Second paragraph of the second chapter entitled "What DMT Is "

PREV1234NEXT