We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Extraction and Purification of Limonene Options

narmz
#1 Posted : 3/19/2010 6:07:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a steady flow of orange/lime and lemon peels at my disposal, so I have been researching ways to extract the Limonene.

The first and most obvious was steam distillation. After some searching, I found this YouTube video explaining the use of Liquid CO2 to extract limonene straight from orange peels, which is much more economical and seems to produce better results.

So it seems pretty simple, but the scale is small, and I am not sure what the tube is made of. If it is made of glass, it seems the tube would break instead of deforming as a result of the pressure and subsequently letting the CO2 out of the tube.

If anyone has ideas on how this could be achieved on a larger scale, would love to hear it, this also seems like a great way to purify limonene which you have already used - allowing you to re-use limonene over and over again.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Infundibulum
#2 Posted : 3/19/2010 6:39:29 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

The tube in this video is a 15ml Falcon that is made out of polystyrene.

This is a neat method as long as one takes care not to let the tube explode! It is pretty nice to see the liquid CO2 extracting limonene.

This can be definitely scaled up in a bottle that can close hermetically , has a pocket for packing material and has a fair amount of elasticity to withstand the extreme pressure of liquid/gaseous CO2.

A hermetically closed percolator setup with loads of dry ice pached on top of the orange peels seems like the ideal design for large scaling that. But please be very careful.

EDIT: It won't work with used limonene which will require distillation to get rid of any non-volatile crap.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

amor_fati
#3 Posted : 3/19/2010 6:48:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Excellent find Narmz! This could be the beginning of something magnificent.

narmz
#4 Posted : 3/19/2010 7:49:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Here is a pdf that explains it all.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.