We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV56789NEXT»
Psychoactive Lichen!!!...Novel Entheogen needs Research! Options

CosmicFool
#121 Posted : 11/1/2011 9:36:12 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Xanthoparmelia Conspersa grows like wildfire here where I live, so I will definitely collect some and see whats all this fuss about.

also I will surely be keeping a keen eye on this thread, great job guys and gals! Smile
If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

CosmicFool is a fictional character, a creation of imagination, and everything written above should not be taken seriously, or perhaps read at all.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Ginkgo
#122 Posted : 11/2/2011 10:48:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I did a water extraction by simmering approximate 10 grams dry Parmelia conspersa. Usnic acid is not soluble in water, at least at 25°C. The same is true for many of the other substances - the so-called 'lichen acids' are seen upon as not soluble in water. Ref: http://journals.cambridg...ge=online&aid=729140 (Can anyone get the full article?)

I let the resulting brown liquid evaporate onto some mullein. I used a bit much mullein, so I had to take two large fillings in my pipe, but indeed this is active! Not mindblowing, but good effects. The terrible taste of the lichen (or perhaps the dirt that sometimes follow with) is more or less gone, although the taste is still very sharp, it is much better than plain lichen.

This means that it's likely that the so-called 'lichen acids' aren't responsible for the effects. It could also mean that one or more of them is soluble in water at higher temperatures, as the used temperature was constantly 70-80°C. More tests will need to be done to confirm this.

I want to note that I think it's unfair for sister Mary Jane to say that this is like cannabis. It is damn close, but the cannabinoid magic is missing, and I have no belief that these substances act on cannabinoid receptors. But they do have an interesting effect... Look forward to more tests, in the making is also an extraction of Radula complanata, a close relative to the three known liverworts with actual cannabinoids. Looking forward to try that. Smile

Oh, and for new readers, you can get a summary of our work on lichens and liverworts in this post.

Peace!

۩
#123 Posted : 11/2/2011 10:53:25 PM

Take a bong bowl packed full of conspersa holding your hits in long and tell me what the difference is between that and cannabis other than the taste/smell. I am a seasoned cannabis smoker and grower and I could not tell the difference. I was completely sober beforehand, too. Just sayin'. Looks like our neurochemistry differs, me being a sensitive guy and all. Looking forward to hearing more reports.

Ginkgo
#124 Posted : 11/2/2011 10:57:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh yeah I feel high all right! But even after four big hits hold in long, I feel the magic of cannabis is missing. It is a very special plant. Not that I don't enjoy this, it feels good, but I can't say it's like cannabis. Maybe because you smoke "every day", whereas I take long breaks between smoking (most of the time)? I notice that the cannabis magic diminishes after just a few days of smoking.

۩
#125 Posted : 11/2/2011 11:02:07 PM

Every day the magic of cannabis is waiting for me...

;]

I am a chemical anomaly. And I don't smoke schwag. Cool We need more perspectives on this!! And I need to give this another whirl next time I'm out in the woods...

biopsylo
#126 Posted : 11/2/2011 11:16:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the ID, GinkoSmile

so Parmelia conspersa is very common. sorry if you went over this, but what types of habitats are good to look in? i would love to help gather info! (and a walk in the woods would do me nice right now, before the snow flies.

۩
#127 Posted : 11/2/2011 11:20:19 PM

Where I live it's on all kinds of rocks and wood growing everywhere from directly on the cliffs of coasts through the forests and to the tops of mountains that make up the valley.

nen888
#128 Posted : 11/3/2011 12:36:45 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..thanks for the experimental Gingko, & feedback ۩
..as far as i could research, Parmelia conspersa has not been tested for methyl β-orcinolcarboxylate and atranorin, found in other parmelias, so perhaps such compounds are the actives...

biopsylo
#129 Posted : 11/3/2011 1:22:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

on rocks *and* wood ,,,hmmm

this is novel, i have yet to ID a lichen
i think my chances are getting betterRazz

thanks ۩

Ginkgo
#130 Posted : 11/4/2011 7:56:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

HAH! I took 4 dry grams of the liverwort Radula complanata including roots, and extracted with toluene (didn't have any other non-polar), which when evaporeted yielded a very small amount of black-green resin. I took some mullein and mixed with approximately half of this resin, equaling 2 grams of herb, and smoked it (without any cannabis tolerance).

And you know what, THIS WORKS! With the cannabinoid feel and everything, this is nearly like smoking some GOOD hash! The effect started maybe 30 seconds in, and now writing 5 minutes after, I continue to get higher.

The cannabinoid perrottetinene has not been isolated in this species, but seeing that it has been found in three relatives, it has to be assumed that this substance is responsible for the effects. So people, at least 4 of the 172 Radula species have cannabinoids. Fore more information on the genus, see previous posts.

WOHO! Legal cannabis! YEAH! Very happy

Update: Lasts around 2-3 hours, peak at ~20 minutes.

Ginkgo
#131 Posted : 11/5/2011 1:50:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The clubmoss Lycopodium clavatum is also active. I smoked maybe 0.5 gram and notice definitive effects. It contains lycopodine and similar substances, which are related to huperzine A, an NMDA antagonist and acetylcholinesterase inhibititor isolated from the firmoss Huperzia serrata. Lycopodium clavatum grows everywhere in the world.

Lichens, liverworts, clubmosses... This is starting to get kinda interesting! Very happy I'm sure there's LOTS of entheogens and psychoactives out there just waiting to be found.

Hyperspace Fool
#132 Posted : 11/5/2011 2:46:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ginkgo wrote:
The clubmoss Lycopodium clavatum is also active. I smoked maybe 0.5 gram and notice definitive effects. It contains lycopodine and similar substances, which are related to huperzine A, an NMDA antagonist and acetylcholinesterase inhibititor isolated from the firmoss Huperzia serrata. Lycopodium clavatum grows everywhere in the world.

Lichens, liverworts, clubmosses... This is starting to get kinda interesting! Very happy I'm sure there's LOTS of entheogens and psychoactives out there just waiting to be found.

It appears clubmoss is quite a tonic. With a long history of herbal healing uses: http://clubmoss.info/

This site says it is a diuretic, sedative, antispasmodic, analgesic, antipruritic, decongestant, antirheumatic, nervine, corroborant, aperient, carminative, stomachic and tonic.

It also says that lycopodine is "poisonous by paralyzing the motor nerves." And, that it also contains clavatine which is toxic to many mammals. Something to think about.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

Ginkgo
#133 Posted : 11/5/2011 2:46:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Anyone know what substances/what lichens this is about?

Quote:

A. Shulgin wrote about this in PIHKAL. The chemicals in some lichens can react with
essential oils in some natural products (i think he used orange juice as the example)
to make synthetic THC:

Ask Dr. Shulgin Online

ARCHIVE: April 2, 2001

THC and Lichens

Dear Dr. Shulgin:

In PIHKAL you have mentioned that the chemicals obtained from lichens can easily be
brought to react with certain essential oils from natural sources, to make synthetic
tetrahydrocannabinol. Are there more detailed references to this process beyond what is
in your book? –Tengu

Dear Tengu:

There certainly are! The tetrahydrocannabinol molecule from Cannabis can be viewed as a
combination of two very different halves.

The right half (as the structure is usually drawn) resembles the nucleus of many of the
substituted benzene-ring containing components found throughout the lichen world.
Isolation of these products can give the raw materials that can be converted to the
compound olivetol, a simple amyl-substituted resorcinol compound.

The left half is a terpene which contains ten carbon atoms, and which is substantially
identical to the essential oil, pulegone. This component makes up some 80 to 90% of the
Oil of Pennyroyal.

The fusion of these two materials has been shown (Claussen et al., Tetrahedron Vol. 24 p.
2879 (196Cool), to produce several products, one of which is delta-3-THC. This is a close
structural isomer of delta-9-THC, the principal active component of marijuana, and is
known to be active in man.

-- Dr. Shulgin

InMotion
#134 Posted : 11/5/2011 4:25:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Yes they are talking about the meta positioned alkyl resorcinols found in such lichen as evernaria prunastri(orcinol), as well as hypogymnia physodes(olivetol). I know someone out there has performed an extraction, purification, and synthesis from orcinol of a novel THC analogue(1 carbon chain) via similar means. Found it to be mildly active at ~20-30mg dose. However POCl3(IIRC is mentioned in the actual entry in the book) is not something to mess around with without an anhydrous set-up and wisdom. There are other synthetic means availible. Pulegone is one way, Citral is another. I don't believe I am encouraged to talk further on these matters.

nen888
#135 Posted : 11/6/2011 4:03:25 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..Woah! Gingko..legal cannabis alright..Smile thank you again..have some catching up to do..New Zealanders especially should take note..

BTW how fresh vs dried was the p. conspersia you and/or house smoked?

BananaForeskin
#136 Posted : 11/6/2011 12:48:52 PM

I Eat Plant Magic

I'm going to check out the radula complanata and parmelia conspersa as soon as possible! I'm not a lichen expert by any means, but I'm guessing that parmelia conspersa is an alternate name for xanthoparmelia conspersa?
¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø¸„ø¤º¨

.^.^.^.^.^.^(0)=õ

۩
#137 Posted : 11/6/2011 4:48:51 PM

nen888 wrote:
..Woah! Gingko..legal cannabis alright..Smile thank you again..have some catching up to do..New Zealanders especially should take note..

BTW how fresh vs dried was the p. conspersia you and/or house smoked?

Mine sat in a bag for around 3 weeks before I toked it.

wira
#138 Posted : 11/7/2011 1:47:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Coming late to this thread...
Blue lunar light, on page 2 you referred to Dictyonema sericeum as 'nenendape' and included pictures (much better than the b&w pic in the original Harv. Bot. Mus. Leaf. article!). Where did you read of this identification, because in all previous literature that I'm aware of the species remained unidentified?

wira
#139 Posted : 11/7/2011 2:20:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ginkgo, thanks very much for altering us to the Collema (genus) and indole content. That paper is available as a free pdf (google collema bufotenine). By the way, it also mentioned igh content of arachidonic acids; could be these are psychoactive components, due to their relation to anandamide and other endogenous cannabinoids.

Hvalfangeren, just so you now, in botanical terms 'occultum' or 'occulta' often refer to a plant being obscure in some way, or dark in colour, and doesn't necessarily imply any relation to use for occult purposes.

Still only up to the end of page 5, have to take a break Wink

PsilocybeChild
#140 Posted : 11/8/2011 5:56:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I used to keep reptiles and would go all out on their terrariums and i know there's a way of growing moss in which you put like beer or buttermilk and moss in a blender and blend. than paint it onto surfaces with a paintbrush and it grows from it. i'm trying to find a good pictorial of this online. it works really well and easily. can this be done with liverworts/lichens for cultivation purposes?
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

«PREV56789NEXT»