We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
scientific proof that positive thoughts are more powerful than negative thoughts Options

shoe
#1 Posted : 2/9/2010 5:12:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

does it exist?
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 2/9/2010 5:21:20 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

technically, scientific proof doesn't exist for anything, because events are never exactly duplicated.
instead, evidence is shown for correlations between cause and effect.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

۩
#3 Posted : 2/9/2010 6:55:34 AM

I love you.
I want to kill you.

Both are rather powerful.

dankh
#4 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:14:49 AM

MRJ

I'm assuming you've seen What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?

To address your question: "more powerful" would suggest an imbalance. Thoughts = thoughts, regardless of the virtue (or lack of) in those thoughts.
In most cases, the furthest you have to go for help is the nearest human being.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule a film by Mitch Schultz
@Facebook @Twitter @YouTube

The creator; shattered diamond eyes and serpent veins of light.

Quote:
I'm scared to death that I'm living a life not worth dying for.

۩
#5 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:18:06 AM

Beware of the bunk science in that film.

dankh
#6 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:21:31 AM

MRJ

۩ wrote:
Beware of the bunk science in that film.

Care to elaborate? Are the names and experiments referenced in the film doctored?

Quote:

۩
#7 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:31:15 AM

For one, Dr. Emoto has never been able to prove that thoughts change water consistency. The images were chosen for their looks.
Don't get me wrong, I know our consciousness molds space/time.
That movie is just full of BS and should be taken with grains of salt.
I'm sure there are loads of websites debunking it.

cellux
#8 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:42:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

House, I love your style. Smile

۩
#9 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:46:55 AM

cellux wrote:
House, I love your style. Smile

I really love yours too, Cellux. How wonderful it is to share this consciousness here!

mumbles
#10 Posted : 2/9/2010 8:56:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Urgh please never reference that shit film again =p

dankh
#11 Posted : 2/9/2010 9:13:03 AM

MRJ

mumbles wrote:
Urgh please never reference that shit film again =p

I'm confused. I thought it was a good thing to present alternative perspectives and understanding? Even if the science they present isn't spot on perfect, that's what most of science is: theory with deductive conclusions. Aside from the details of the science, help me understand why 'What the Bleep Do We Know' is a shit movie that shouldn't be referenced?

Quote:

dankh
#12 Posted : 2/9/2010 9:42:39 AM

MRJ

۩ wrote:
For one, Dr. Emoto has never been able to prove that thoughts change water consistency. The images were chosen for their looks.
Don't get me wrong, I know our consciousness molds space/time.
I'm sure there are loads of websites debunking it.

He hasn't been able to prove it? In the same way that we prove everyone frowns the same way when they're unhappy? I'm confused that you say you know consciousness molds space and time but you're looking for empirical evidence at the same time?

Lots of confusion radiating from me it seems. Very happy

Quote:

۩
#13 Posted : 2/9/2010 10:21:38 AM

Emoto's a lying sack of shit. believe what you want.

sunshineandsmiles
#14 Posted : 2/9/2010 12:59:39 PM

Sol-Id

The big issue with that film and other media of the same vein (e.g. The Secret etc.) is that it puts forward the idea that our thoughts affect reality directly (which hasn't been proven yet). My issue with this idea is that it makes the individual feel responsible for anything that goes wrong in his or her life. Even if it is something outside of the individual's control.

I hate this...it leads the audience into a destructive cycle of empowerment and guilt (the same as organised religion IMO).

Beware beware beware of the pseudo-science. Trying to mash science and spirituality together is a tricky business, and must be attempted with an understanding of the literary contexts of both.

More research into neuroscience, panpsychic theory, and psychology must take place. Before that happens, I wouldn't trust anything that asks more questions than it provides answers...especially that bloody film.
TIME WILL TELL...

ibeing897
#15 Posted : 2/9/2010 1:17:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

"more powerful" ???? what's that supposed to mean? be careful with this subject as it's always invariably some religious group trying to suggest praying works and they frame it as a scientific question.
all posts are fictional

benzyme
#16 Posted : 2/9/2010 2:27:25 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

۩ wrote:

agreed.

please, sir...don't ever reference that movie again.
that would be like me referencing Alice in Wonderland as some sort of credible argument for
teleportation.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Xt
#17 Posted : 2/9/2010 3:16:58 PM

When this question comes up i like to think about my own experiences. When i was depressed, working for 'the man', chasing money and drinking at the weekends my life was awefull. Since i quite working for money, stopped drinking and started living by my ideals, my life is alot better. Infact this shift from negative to positive has not stopped since it started 3 years ago. Life just gets better and better.

If im in a bad mood and get angry at everything that causes difficulty, it often feels that more and more difficulty's are experienced.
In a bad mood, i wont throw something into the trashcan, it will miss and spill out. I will be stopped at road crossings waiting for cars to pass (especially if im in a rush) and as i get to the train on the subway the doors will close, it will rain, lightbulbs will burn out, etc etc etc

On a good day (good mood) doors open when i arrive. The store has deals on my favorite foods, Itunes picks happy songs, friends send me gifts randomly, the sun shines and the good things seem to feed off each other creating more positivity.

Im sure that a part of this is perception. But only a part of it. I truly believe that positive feelings stimulate positive reactions. Its hard to deny when you experience it day in and day out.
That movie 'what the bleep do we know' stank of wishy washy hype. But i do 'feel' like there's something to the general idea they are promoting. Maybe not to that extreme. I refer to my own experiences for this.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

mumbles
#18 Posted : 2/9/2010 4:36:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

xtechre wrote:
On a good day (good mood) doors open when i arrive. The store has deals on my favorite foods, Itunes picks happy songs, friends send me gifts randomly, the sun shines and the good things seem to feed off each other creating more positivity.

Im sure that a part of this is perception. But only a part of it. I truly believe that positive feelings stimulate positive reactions. Its hard to deny when you experience it day in and day out.
That movie 'what the bleep do we know' stank of wishy washy hype. But i do 'feel' like there's something to the general idea they are promoting. Maybe not to that extreme. I refer to my own experiences for this.
Thats all in your perception i'm afraid you are happy and things happen and you get happier no mystery there, and the film is pure pseudo science.

universecannon
#19 Posted : 2/9/2010 4:59:58 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

I wrote a reply last night but my battery died as i finished the last sentence Embarrased Razz

Not too long ago in the most extreme circumstances my paranoid mind could intake all sensory-and imaginary-information while only extracting and extrapolating the negatives in a very intense and horrifyingly delusional way that turned reality into a painfully insane perceptual nightmare at times, and i would often laugh at the absurdity of warp this type of paranoia could impose on reality because it just seemed too much to not be some sort of joke I or the universe was playing on myself. I was getting sick all the time and having all sorts of problems for a good few months until I started turning around again. I have the occasional slip into paranoia like most people but for the most part everything has turned around completely, apparently by the power of thought. I think thoughts can influence reality in far more powerful ways then just affecting health or making life pleasant or painful. Sometimes the barriers between thought and the outside world seem to completely break down in ways that defy any rational explanation you throw at it. To what extent this is true i don't know yet, but more days then not it seems to be eerily proven to me again and again. Just on the way to my room i was thinking of a girl I hadn't talked to or seen in months. .3 seconds later i turn the corner and nearly run her over. To the question of which is more powerful, positive or negative thoughts, I think there both very powerful. But in my biased opinion I'd say love takes the cake and trumps anger and fear.

Not sure if michael talbot's proposed evidence in the holographic universe for the power of thought, belief, and visualization, among other things, have been proven to be bunk yet..But he does go into quite a lot of it.

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Virola78
#20 Posted : 2/10/2010 4:38:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
۩ wrote:

agreed.

Agreed

benzyme wrote:

please, sir...don't ever reference that movie again.
that would be like me referencing Alice in Wonderland as some sort of credible argument for
teleportation.

Nonsense.
I see your point but lets keep discussions open.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

123NEXT