We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
"100% Acetone" with denatonium benzoate? Options

primordium
#1 Posted : 2/9/2014 6:51:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On the front of a container I see "100% Acetone," but on the back, the ingredients list has both acetone and denatonium benzoate.

This does not seem to be a safe add-on, right? I will be using it for changa purposes.
"The infinite vibratory levels, the dimensions of interconnectedness are without end." -- Alex Grey

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Mister_Niles
#2 Posted : 2/9/2014 8:40:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'd get some different acetone. Is your acetone nail polish remover?

From wikipedia:
"Denatonium also discourages consumption of harmful alcohols like methyl alcohol, and additives like ethylene glycol. Denatonium is used in rubbing alcohol as an inactive ingredient. It is also added to many kinds of harmful liquids including solvents (such as nail polish remover), paints, varnishes, toiletries and other personal care items, special nail polish for preventing nail biting, and various other household products. It is also added to less hazardous aerosol products (such as Gas dusters) to discourage inhalant abuse of the volatile vapors."
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

bluesky
#3 Posted : 2/9/2014 8:45:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't use anything containing denatonium bensoate with something that you are going to consume, it is the most bitter tasting substance known to man and the taste will be horrible beyond your imagination.

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 2/9/2014 9:34:00 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

IF you had suitable apparatus and experience, it would be relatively straightforward to distil it - but then you probably wouldn't be asking!

Distillation is a super fun hobby to get into Very happy

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Randomness
#5 Posted : 2/10/2014 8:45:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just buy a bottle of proper acetone :-) In the uk pharmacies have it behind the counter and you have to ask. Not expensive for a 500ml bottle. Nail polish acetone tends to have additives over here not sure about other countries though. Acetone is also used for fibreglass repairs so if your near the sea shops for boat parts may have it.

I'll give you a little story to illustrate this.

I was planning on following the Travellers secretive TAFVR (toes and fingers varnish removal) TEK and this called for pure acetone. I walk into Superdrug (yes it is really called that) and see some "100% pure" acetone nail polish remover. Now me being the sceptical person I am I read the back and it had an ingredients list. Obviously acetone is the only ingredient in pure acetone so the presence of a list of multiple ingredients put me off and I left empty handed.

What had happened?

Superdrug uses "100% pure" as a brand name for some of there products. Why? Im guessing clandestine chemists are not there target market and people who think the words "100% pure" makes something more natural, appealing and better for you are.

The phrase MSDS (material safety data sheet) is your friend on google. If you find a appealing looking source for a chemical or solvent you have an interest in acquiring just type in the brand name and product followed by the phrase MSDS and you should easily find out what said product actually contains. The MSDS is a legal requirement and is not full of marketing hype like "100% pure" or "double strength formula" just a list of actual ingredients and the safety information with regards to those said ingredients.

I ended up just phoning a couple of local chemists and asking if they had any 500ml bottles of acetone. Two phone calls later and I had a bottle of pharmacy grade acetone to wash the resin of my tools after fixing the fibreglass bumper on my car. I didn't mention the TAFVR TEK for obvious reasons.

Good luck with your hunt.

Jgyatso
#6 Posted : 5/4/2015 1:18:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Being so new, I don't have a lot to share. I can share this experience and help underscore what has already been discussed above, and perhaps help save someone some trouble. Here goes:

I learned a big lesson today relative to this thread. I made a small batch of 2:1 leaf to DMT enhanced leaf with 500mg of my first extraction. This is about 3/4 of my yield. I used mint and mullien. The DMT was dissolved in "100% pure" acetone. I carefully followed the tek and got what appeared to be good results. I cured the leaf for 2 weeks.

Earlier this week I tasted a crumb of the leaf. It was horrendous. It was vile. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth with coffee or toothpaste. I was concerned. I googled "denatorium benzoate" as it is listed next to acetone on the back of my bottle. Being a Chem noob, I figured it was another name for acetone. After all, the bottle clearly says "100% acetone." I was wrong.

So all you new folks such as myself: double and triple check everything used in extractions. Search here for anything you are not sure of. Read all labels.

Don't make my mistake

Spaced Out 2
#7 Posted : 5/4/2015 9:00:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Or use ethanol, highest proof you can get. Takes a little bit longer to evaporate and cure but in the end I know there's no nasty crap in it that ruins my batch.

Better luck next timeWink