We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV45678NEXT
*Water Only* Tek -- work in progress Options

endlessness
#101 Posted : 2/18/2011 2:48:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

narmz wrote:
I think if you can use lime or sodium carb instead of lye and get the same results, that's good, cause you don't have to deal with the possibility of major accidents, and the bi-products you toss out aren't as imbalancing to natural systems as a heavily concentrated lye solution would be. The idea that the solution to pollution is dilution is bunk, and has been for ages. Just the comfort in knowing that no lye will be found in the end product is worth the extra work for some. I find it hard to believe that this tek would produce dmt that is not heavily lye contaminated. You're basically trying to crystallize out of a solution of lye, some of the solvent medium will be incorporated within the crystal matrix, potentially lye, especially with all the plant oils and fats mucking with it all.

There is a reason folks like to separate using a non-polar, it's so that they don't end up with a contaminated product, from both oils and bases.

Yeah sodium carb is very good but so far doesnt seem very promissing, right? Lets hope someone makes it work well with good yields

But narmz, lye isnt damaging to throw away, its used to unblock drains. And you can always neutralize it with some acid creating a harmless salt... Not saying the other ways shouldnt be explored, on the contrary, they should, but I think some fears regarding lye dont have good basis.

As for dmt lye contamination, yes, but if you do a hot water wash with proper shaking, I would say that any significant lye contamination will be eliminated (plus remember lye wont vaporize at lighter temperature, but anyways it wouldnt be there if you clean it up properly). All in theory of course I havent tested yet, but that sounds to me like how it would play out. Maybe someone disagrees and im open to changing my mind if someone puts good arguments against this Smile

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

narmz
#102 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:14:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm not saying lye is bad to use, i'm saying it would make obvious sense to use lime or sodium carb if a method were found to make them as or nearly as effective. There is a certain niftiness in doing an extraction without more nastier chems like lye or naptha. It's just cool, like a home-baked lovely loaf a bread. You can stress the importance of using chems safely and that's important, but you can also stress the importance of making smart choices about what chems to use. Unless you got a decked out lab, chances are that potential accidents could be more trouble than their worth with certain chems, and it's good to evaluate that based on your situation i think.
Everything I post is made up fiction. SWIM represents a character who is not based in or on reality.

SnozzleBerry
#103 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:14:59 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

endlessness wrote:
As for dmt lye contamination, yes, but if you do a hot water wash with proper shaking, I would say that any significant lye contamination will be eliminated (plus remember lye wont vaporize at lighter temperature, but anyways it wouldnt be there if you clean it up properly). All in theory of course I havent tested yet, but that sounds to me like how it would play out. Maybe someone disagrees and im open to changing my mind if someone puts good arguments against this Smile

Couldn't you also redissolve your final product in vinegar and then go the acetate to freebase via heat route? No additional chems needed other than vinegar and it would neutralize any lye while keeping the tek simple. The only downside is you would lose any pretty crystals for waxier freebase...but that's only aesthetic.
Wiki โ€ข Attitude โ€ข FAQ
The Nexian โ€ข Nexus Research โ€ข The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
ื’ื ื–ื” ื™ืขื‘ื•ืจ

endlessness
#104 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:19:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

narmz wrote:
I'm not saying lye is bad to use, i'm saying it would make obvious sense to use lime or sodium carb if a method were found to make them as or nearly as effective. There is a certain niftiness in doing an extraction without more nastier chems like lye or naptha. It's just cool, like a home-baked lovely loaf a bread. You can stress the importance of using chems safely and that's important, but you can also stress the importance of making smart choices about what chems to use. Unless you got a decked out lab, chances are that potential accidents could be more trouble than their worth with certain chems, and it's good to evaluate that based on your situation i think.

I completely agree Smile

SnozzleBerry wrote:
endlessness wrote:

Couldn't you also redissolve your final product in vinegar and then go the acetate to freebase via heat route? No additional chems needed other than vinegar and it would neutralize any lye while keeping the tek simple. The only downside is you would lose any pretty crystals for waxier freebase...but that's only aesthetic.

Yes, and another possibility that we just discussed in the chat is dissolving in warm FASW water and re-crystallizing from water using sodium carbonate like explained in BLAB

amor_fati
#105 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:42:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The way SWIM see's it, if he never ever thought lye was necessary for extraction, he probably never would have bought any at all, and now that he knows it's not, he tries to come at it from a fresh perspective and sees no need. Still though, the gravitation away from petrochems is the most important first step for the sake of keeping a low profile and avoiding hazards, but why not go all the way and eliminate lye from the process?

endlessness
#106 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:49:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

but how do you propose that, amorfati, if sodium carb isnt yet working well with precipitating dmt directly out of mimosa-tea water?

Maybe putting it in the fridge or even freezer for a few mins could help?

Shaolin
#107 Posted : 2/18/2011 3:51:09 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Evening Glory wrote:
Shaolin wrote:
Actually Very happy

"Owsley was convinced that the vibe at the time of synthesis had a direct correlation to the type of trip that particular batch would produce".

Don't underestimated the Juju !

Owsley also thinks all vegetables are toxic, so... Just sayin'.

Owsley has a point, so... Just sayin' Wink

My intention was not to make Owsley's words a fact but I find it interesting that a LSD chemist (although he says he's a cook) holds those beliefs.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

FiorSirtheoir
#108 Posted : 2/18/2011 6:31:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
Evening Glory wrote:
Shaolin wrote:
Actually Very happy

"Owsley was convinced that the vibe at the time of synthesis had a direct correlation to the type of trip that particular batch would produce".

Don't underestimated the Juju !

Owsley also thinks all vegetables are toxic, so... Just sayin'.

Owsley has a point, so... Just sayin' Wink

My intention was not to make Owsley's words a fact but I find it interesting that a LSD chemist (although he says he's a cook) holds those beliefs.

It is interesting
The truth is not for all men, but only for those who seek it.

FiorSirtheoir
#109 Posted : 2/18/2011 6:40:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You could use KOH couldn't you. The stuff can hurt you but it isnt as strong as the NaOH, even in its crystal form. I haven't done the chemcial formulas, not sure if I could remember how, but won't the potassium react differently with the sodium carbonate, if that is what you start with? How will the spice react to the various combinations of KOH, NaOH, and the Na2CO3?

endlessness
#110 Posted : 2/18/2011 6:51:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The salt ion that is attached to the spice will react with the base... I dont know what salt dmt is naturally in mimosa, maybe tannate from tannic acid.. So if it was sodium carbonate or lye with dmt tannate I would say it would form sodium tannate and with potassium hydroxide it would form potassium tannate, and the dmt would just be in freebase form to the high pH, with any of those bases (with sodium carb less so because of the pH not raising so high, but still it should be most of it). Im no chemist but thats my understanding of it.

KOH is also pretty caustic and it could hurt you bad too without propper precautions (for example if a solution with it drops in your eyes.

FiorSirtheoir
#111 Posted : 2/18/2011 6:59:57 PM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
KOH is also pretty caustic and it could hurt you bad too without propper precautions (for example if a solution with it drops in your eyes.

It just doesn't seem to be as aggressive on the skin, is my meaning behind not as strong as NaOH.

amor_fati
#112 Posted : 2/18/2011 8:04:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

endlessness wrote:
but how do you propose that, amorfati, if sodium carb isnt yet working well with precipitating dmt directly out of mimosa-tea water?

Maybe a bit cryptic, but my statement is not limited to reference of this tek. Removing lye and hazardous solvents from extraction is nothing new, but if this tek could be done without lye, that'd be great too. My question is that there's plenty of reason to not use any hazardous chemicals, so why not go all out? Why would one choose this tek over another that doesn't incorporate lye is the question. Separation of polar from nonpolar layers is a cinch with freezing.

downwardsfromzero
#113 Posted : 2/18/2011 8:46:57 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

FiorSirtheoir wrote:
endlessness wrote:

It just doesn't seem to be as aggressive on the skin, is my meaning behind not as strong as NaOH.

Hmmm... I'm not at all convinced of this latter claim. Nor would I recommend testing it.

It's still a good base, though.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

Wanderer
#114 Posted : 2/18/2011 9:09:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Lots of great discussion everyone! I've found the amount of lye I use in this process is pretty minimal (maybe 6 rounded teaspoons for 100g extraction). And I've got some of the lye-saturated solutions on my hands and in a cut, and didn't really experience any dramatic injury or burn, which isn't really a risk if you wash it off pretty quickly. The only big risk here is the eyes, so make sure to wear eye protection.

Lye has been used for hundreds of years, and I don't really get a bad vibe from it (as I would from petrochemicals) -- if you don't like that it's made from chemical processes, you can extract your own from wood ash. It's not that difficult to do.

I will update as I get more crystallization. The big 100g batch is beginning to crystallize now. Should be a couple more days.

-- Wanderer
Wandering back to the home I never left.

All posts made by this member (Wanderer) should be read and interpreted solely as fictional accounts of fantasy, and in no way represent or depict real events or the life of any living or deceased persons.

downwardsfromzero
#115 Posted : 2/18/2011 9:33:02 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

This tek looks very promising. It might be good to do a run through an espresso coffee maker for making the brew.

โ€œThere is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
โ€• Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli

FiorSirtheoir
#116 Posted : 2/18/2011 10:05:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I made some from wood ash, it has to hard wood, no conifers or pines, hickory is best from what I have been told and read. This process creates KOH, has a redish-orange color to it. You can strengthen it by multiple ash washes and then evaporation - it will form crystals if completely dehydrated.

Opiyum
#117 Posted : 2/19/2011 12:30:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Currently going through the filtering process.

The lye batches did not change after three days. The ph was just tested and was shown to be 12.40. Additional lye was added and, with both the first and second boil, at the moment the ph reached 13 an orange oily substance was seen floating on top. They have been put back in the fridge in hopes that now crystals will grow.

The first and second boil of the sodium carbonate solutions is being filtered. In both cases there was a large amount of brown particulate resting at the bottom of the container. The first boil had, as seen in one pic, a black crusty substance on top. The second boil, also pictured earlier, had a brown oily substance floating on top. I don't have much confidence in these two batches. Nothing about these makes me think spice.
In both the sodium carbonate batches the ph is at ten.

Is there any reason that the sodium carbonate would be what has precipetated out? Sodium carbonate should stay in solution in DH20 even if it's refridgerated right?
It may be worth noting I filtered the hell out of the mimosa tea before basifying. I first ran it through a t-shirt, then coffee filters, then I let it sit for a few hours, decanted and then ran it through a vacuum filter (huge pain in the ass as the filters clogged almost immediately and I went through about 10 of them.

In the pictures you can see the filtrate from the Na2CO3 batches. It was a grey sludge and I've been running warm water over it. It is leaving behind brown/black waxy.... ...stuff? Not sure how comfortable I am with bio-assaying this material.
Can anyone tell me what this stuff could be theoretically?
The only things entering into the equation are heat, water, MHRB and Na2CO3.
Opiyum attached the following image(s):
Picture 548.jpg (3,906kb) downloaded 720 time(s).
Picture 558.jpg (3,900kb) downloaded 719 time(s).

logos2012
#118 Posted : 2/19/2011 4:23:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sorry, The Green Entity sounds a bit of an ass in his post. He must refrain from posting when he is that stoned and drunk. All very good points that have been brought up.

Anyways his aversion to lye is just a personal preference. The big question would be that if one were to get this tek to work with sodium carb instead of lye and it pretty much just worked just as good, how many people would still use lye instead?

For those who would prefer to not use lye it would be nice to find a way for this to work with sodium carb. He is not totally opposed to using lye, he may just try it with this tek to see the difference of quality and experience from other teks. He would rather brainstorm ways of making sodium carb work than debate whether lye is not good to use...... and yes as stated, there is not really any right or wrongs just different perspectives in the polarities and it is up to the individuals free will to decide what is best for them although a good debate always brings better understanding for the individuals to decide.

endlessness wrote:

check the cake extraction from spiceman, it works on this idea of making a freebased mimosa dry cake, pulling with some kind of alcohol and then evapping. But it will be very impure, and adding to sodium carb water wont make it crystallize because it will be already in freebase form. Maybe if you redissolve it in FASW and then add sodium carb saturated solution it could work. But this also brings me to:

Please forgive him he is not a chemist yet he does have some ingenuity.

So after the evaporation of the IPA it would already be in crystallized form, and it wouldn't get refined anymore by placing it in sodium carb water?

What if one were to pull with IPA from the drytek sodium carb mixture, then drop some FASIPA and collect the precips for freebasing? Is that just the standard FASA method or is that different in some way? Would it still be pretty impure?

All posts are from higher vibrational alien entities. These entities are not physically real to your understanding and do not exist in this dimension, therefore accounts of all posts did not take place in reality.

FiorSirtheoir
#119 Posted : 2/19/2011 5:59:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Opiyum wrote:

Maybe it is Jungle?

Opiyum
#120 Posted : 2/19/2011 6:53:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

FiorSirtheoir wrote:
Opiyum wrote:

Maybe it is Jungle?

hmmm...could be i suppose.

Only problem now is that warm water isn't removing any more of the grey gunk from the brown stuff(possibly jungle?). Most of what was there initially dissolved in the water and flowed through the filter. Unfortunately not all of it has so I'm left with those dark brown chunks mixed with this grey crap. No idea what the grey stuff is...my guess is sodium carbonate or some byproduct thereof.

«PREV45678NEXT