We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Racism Options

Cheeto
#1 Posted : 12/27/2010 6:45:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Has the world gone mad? I feel like an idiot for even thinking this is debatable, i would expect the same view shared by others, but i'll put that to the test.

I heard of another so called positive rapper because he did a song with a new rapper i like(Luca Brazi/in music section), so i listened to some of his songs and got the impression that he was racist. I got the chance to actually talk to him(Skipp Coon) on youtube. He seems to have an ilogical view that no race can be racist other than white people(Despite they consist of many races just as anyother skin color), and that all white people are racist despite the lack of hate they may have.

I thought for sure, that racism at its core was hating another race simply because they are in another race. Which i still believe is correct. If you hate someone because of their race, thats racism. While he claims that blacks can't be racist because they don't have power. Which is weird, because Africa i thought was a country run by blacks, but if not, i didn't think it had anything to do with power, but hating someone because of their skin color.

I tried my best to reason with him, and show him his logic defies logic, so he discontinued the conversation.

Wouldn't it be idiotic to claim that someone of any race coulnd't be racist? I mean, everyone is part of a race, drop the "e" and add an "ism" and you have racism.
They say that shit floats, but mine sinks....why?? I guess i'm just into some heavy shit!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

polytrip
#2 Posted : 12/27/2010 7:54:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Every racist has some kind of logic to back-up his claims about the people he hates.
The nazi's had whole books full of pseudo-scientific evidence about 'the evil nature of the jew'.
I wonder what the rapper you mention would think about nelson mandela...a traitor?

Ice House
#3 Posted : 12/27/2010 11:24:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Sustainable growing

Racism knows no color, creed, gender, or religon, people of all walks of life, people of all political persuasions can be racist.

Racism is humanity at its ugliest.

Racism is ignorance at its finest.

I believe that when a person who is not white says that only whites can be racist that person is attempting to hide or legitimize his or her own racist views.

Ice House is an alter ego. The threads, postings, replys, statements, stories, and private messages made by Ice House are 100% unadulterated Bull Shit. Every aspect of the Username Ice House is pure fiction. Any likeness to SWIM or any real person is purely coincidental. The creator of Ice House does not condone or participate in any illicit activity what so ever. The makebelieve character known as Ice House is owned and operated by SWIM and should not be used without SWIM's expressed written consent.

benzyme
#4 Posted : 12/28/2010 12:33:33 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

well said.

beyond the physical differences, racism is a social construct based on ignorance of cultures (which are also social constructs).
from a biological standpoint, it has no basis. the human genome is nearly identical, from nigeria to norway.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Pebble on the Beach
#5 Posted : 12/28/2010 3:26:24 AM

C r a c k B l i p T o o t T o o t ! ! !

I once saw this Louis Theroux documentary (yes, the son of Paul), he makes documentaries for the BBC and they pretty well known around Western Europe. He kind of plays the fumbling, naive nerd when he interrogates people and somehow he always get to go much deeper than most journalists. But back on topic:

This documentary was about militant black America, New York more exactly. While not all the interviewees pertained these views, some of those guys also reeeeaaaally bended logic a long way to show that their prejudice actually wasn't prejudice but was a mentality forced on them by "the man". The local leader of the Israelites, a black church, flat out declared that the first British monarchs, Shakespeare, Mozart were blacks! He brought forth as proof of his statements a black and white picture, of an etching depicting one of the English kings. -_- Forgot wich one though. He also stated that blackness wasn't about colour of skin, it was about your lineage from the male side down. If there was a black man involved somewhere you could join his church.(He tried to be smart about it but if you follow your lineage back far enough, where does one end up?) Another guy preached all out race war, and when Louis tried to convey to him that two wrongs don't make a right, He simply wrote that off as arrogant whiteman speak. This is not meant just to crap all over the black community, there's tons of video material of white suppremacists boasting equally idiotic views backed by ludicrous statements. Just wanted to show the OP that there exists these strange philosophies in the black diaspora. All over the world ,if I may add

Don't get me wrong here, I can understand that they put forth an identity. Something they were deprived of untill what, 50ish years ago? That's something we as offspring of the oppressing nations can't really imagine, but I don't take personal responsibility for some things that happened before my time, or without my doing. In the same perspective I could hold a grudge against the Spanish for what they did back in the Middle Ages, or the Germans, maybe an event that better fits the time scale.

And yes, racism is unfortunately all too prevalent in society but if you aren't part of that crowd then don't listen too much to that "I'm not anti-(insert word of choice), I'm pro-(insert opposite); or any other twisted rethoric proponents of those lines of thought use to embellish their ideas (perhaps even towards themselves). That goes for all sides of the imagined fence.

Probably the only statement that relieves me from sadness when I hear/see/read this kind of bullshit is: Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
and
"Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting."
Bertrand Russell

All things are possible, everything is permissable

vovin
#6 Posted : 12/28/2010 3:48:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Prototype and Design Engineer amongst other things, Craftsman

We project that which we hate, the mirrors show. What we see in the early morn gives shame to cast forth in prejudice throughout the day.
If you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing.

Autodidactic
#7 Posted : 12/28/2010 4:30:49 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I just hate how racism is used to silence people sometimes, like IMO a lot are labeled racist for being critical of the president's policies, others are automatically labeled anti-semitic for criticizing Israel.
*The above text represents a fictional alter ego, none of it is based on the experiences of a real person.*

"Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." Oscar Wilde

benzyme
#8 Posted : 12/28/2010 4:55:43 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

oh yeah..the racism card gets played a lot by people who
overlook the politics.
I hear ya
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Virola78
#9 Posted : 12/28/2010 10:31:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

We should not waste time on the easy morons. As much as i would honestly love to kick their asses, i try not to focus on the boot in asshole.

So allow me to knock down the other door. The problem is prejudice and inorance in general. As if the ego is holding itself together through what it does not know. Depending on caracter, i think the ego can be quite conservative at that. Human nature? Sure. But from another perspective it is not an entirely unavoidable expression of human nature, since development of caracter also involves nurture. Who’s your daddy?

If obvious racism (with all its faces, colors and assholes in any combination) can be considered the result of certain circumstances, i believe, one should change those circumstances. Perhaps we can by simply absorb them racists. Mingle my friends. Just mingle and sex will mix the rest. Let us share all sorts of genes so the pure racist will die of natural cause.

Unfortunately i dont see the same fate for prejudice or ignorance.

“The most important thing in illness is never to lose heart.” -Nikolai Lenin

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Cosmic Spore
#10 Posted : 5/23/2014 1:56:20 AM

☠ ⚡ ☣ ⚠ ☢

Money Turns You Into A Psychopath

Imdb: COINTELPRO 101
Imdb wrote:
Cointelpro 101 exposes illegal surveillance, disruption, and outright murder committed by the US government in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Cointelpro refers to the official FBI COunter INTELigence PROgram carried out to surveil, imprison, and eliminate leaders of social justice movements and to disrupt, divide, and destroy the movements as well. Many of the government's crimes are still unknown. Through interviews with activists who experienced these abuses first-hand, with rare historical footage, the film provides an educational introduction to a period of intense repression and draws relevant lessons for the present and future.

Racism in the war on drugs & Cannabis arrests
Cosmic Spore wrote:
"'[Nixon] emphasized that you have to face the fact that the whole problem is really the blacks. The key is to devise a system that recognizes this while not appearing to.' The so-called War on Drugs was the system they devised, and it has achieved its purpose all these years."

The felon voter purge was itself felonious

Politics.zip

The Case for Reparations: Two hundred fifty years of slavery. Ninety years of Jim Crow. Sixty years of separate but equal. Thirty-five years of racist housing policy. Until we reckon with our compounding moral debts, America will never be whole.

SnozzleBerry wrote:
Capitalism Plus Dope Equals Genocide
By Michael Cetewayo Tabor (Political Prisoner, NY 21)

Published in 1970, this tract, written by a member of the Black Panther party, offers a critique of the War on [some people who use certain] Drugs that is still incredibly relevant today. Perhaps even moreso, given the introduction of private prisons and the explosion in for-profit prison (read: slave) labor. While some components of this zine may be slightly outdated or use rhetoric that has somewhat faded away, it is a remarkably prescient piece of writing and is worth a read.

Cosmic Spore attached the following image(s):
Marijuana Possession Arrest Rates.jpg (51kb) downloaded 424 time(s).
Marijuana Use by Whites, Blacks and Latinos, ages 18-25, 2002-2009.jpg (86kb) downloaded 420 time(s).
NYC Marijuana Arrests By Race 1997-2006.jpg (59kb) downloaded 426 time(s).

SKA
#11 Posted : 5/28/2014 1:10:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah over here I encounter that sentiment alot too: "White people are by definition Racist and coloured people are by defenition ruled out of being Racist"

A recidulous, irrational view off course. In itself incredibly racist.I like to call this "Counter-racism";
Where people belonging to an ethnic population that have historically been a victim of Racism,
launch a counter-ideological campaign. Initially this campaign is to unlearn the idea that people
of their race/ethnicity/culture are inferior to another, but unfortunately they don't stop there and
often go on to claim superiority of their own race instead; Making the same mistake that their (former)
oppressors had made.

Racism is simply to judge other people on their race/ethnicity/culture, instead of on
their personality and behaviour. Race/Ethnicity sais nothing about someone's personality or behaviour.
Culture MIGHT influence a person's personality & behaviour, but not always as not all people will feel
the need to perfectly aline to the dominant culture in their country/enviroment.( Not all Germans drink beer, not all African Americans listen to Hip Hop, not all Russians are alcoholics, not all Germans are nazis, not all muslims aprove of islamist violence...etc ) Judging people on their Race or Culture is wildly irrational, injust & delusional.

So really the only accurate and just way of judging people is simply on their behaviour & personaliy and nothing else. Nothing defines a person, but his or her behaviour & his or her personality(which is revealed by his/her behaviour in time). The choices they make tell you who they are. Their behaviour/choices will reflect their personality. Nothing else really does. So only judgement on a person's behaviour(& the personality it reflects) is reasonable & just. Simple.

pitubo
#12 Posted : 5/28/2014 9:18:44 PM

dysfunctional word machine

SKA wrote:
Yeah over here I encounter that sentiment alot too: "White people are by definition Racist and coloured people are by defenition ruled out of being Racist"

A recidulous, irrational view off course. In itself incredibly racist.

Acts of racism by a majority onto an minority often have more impact than acts of racism by a minority onto a majority, due to the social-economic power the majority group generally holds. Racism is everywhere, but the powerful and privileged suffer less from it when they are a victim of it.

SKA wrote:
I like to call this "Counter-racism"; Where people belonging to an ethnic population that have historically been a victim of Racism, launch a counter-ideological campaign. Initially this campaign is to unlearn the idea that people of their race/ethnicity/culture are inferior to another, but unfortunately they don't stop there and often go on to claim superiority of their own race instead; Making the same mistake that their (former)
oppressors had made.

It's worse than that unfortunately. Cultural minorities are often even more racist among each other than toward the dominant majority.

SKA wrote:
Racism is simply to judge other people on their race/ethnicity/culture, instead of on
their personality and behavior. Race/Ethnicity sais nothing about someone's personality or behavior.

A person's culture does somewhat influence their behavior. Ethnicity does somewhat correlate with culture. True, they aren't strong or causative relations, but there is some real correlation. "Race" is just an awful term here, as scientifically and objectively, there is really only one human race as far as I know.

BTW I don't think that the "racism issue" is really about race or colour, that is just an easy and superficial coathanger to put a label on. It is IMHO much more an issue of different cultures.

Similarly, I believe most "racism" is simply another particular exponent of xenophobia in general. At the heart of the matter, it really isn't about the "other" but about the psycho-emotional distortions of the self that are projected onto the "other" (everything not ego-syntonic). It is mostly because cultural differences are such obvious triggers of "otherness" and because it implies a corresponding "sameness" of members of the own culture that this personal and deeply psychological xenophobia takes on a social and cultural dimension and scale.

SKA wrote:
So really the only accurate and just way of judging people is simply on their behaviour & personaliy and nothing else. Nothing defines a person, but his or her behaviour & his or her personality(which is revealed by his/her behavior in time). The choices they make tell you who they are. Their behaviour/choices will reflect their personality. Nothing else really does. So only judgement on a person's behaviour(& the personality it reflects) is reasonable & just. Simple.

We do not always know the choices other people make, all we may know is some of the consequences of those choices that we perceive.

And not all choices or consciously voluntary, a lot of choices are predetermined by society and culture. Not everyone has developed the personal capability to make his own choices, free from the assumptions of the environment he or she was born into.

Finally, people may change, so our preliminary judgement of their past actions should not be a last judgement.

SKA
#13 Posted : 6/3/2014 12:04:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sure culture affects people's personalities, but some people are more open to the dominant culture in their country than others. Some people will find a greater need to fit in than others. So different people are affected/influenced by culture to different degrees.

Therefor it is inaccurate to assume a person's personality & behaviour aligns perfectly with the ideals & norms of the culture they grew up in. Here are examples of societal norms that I've never personally felt were normal.

I grew up and still live in a country where regulairly poisoning yourself with copeous amounts of alcohol is considered completely normal, yet I never thought of it as normal.

Unfortunately, Racism is a quite common and normal way of judging people to many of my compatrots, yet I have always been appaled by it.

So if people were to judge me on my cultural background and just went ahead and assumed that being a member of my culture I automatically align with all norms & values of that culture, people would judge me wrongly. They would think/assume I drink alcohol and am a racist.

And they would be deadwrong, because they were too focussed on my background they forgot that I am an individual that may make choices and have opinions hat deviate from the concensus in my culture.

That is why culture also is no pure, accurate way of judging people.
No. Ony their behaviour truely tells you who they are.

Without doubt and assumptions.

Jox
#14 Posted : 6/5/2014 3:23:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Bravo pitobo,

You saved me writing time and said all I would.

Just to add: one cannot say "I am not racist".... if doesn't study racism.

Being woman, gay, or non dominant race is not a ticket to understand the dinamic of oppression at all, quite the contrary, in order to free yourself from the scars and self hating one must study

Victim can never be the aggressor, so black race is victim, they are defined by white race which excercided systemic power to construct it. Western blacks will spend all their lives soul searching, whites never, they don't have to.

As gay person we never get out completely, we are constantly in and out of closet.

Just to end with a puzzle, White Anglo-Saxon man can't watch narrative movie of lesbian relationship, why?

ntwhtyouknw
#15 Posted : 6/5/2014 4:35:21 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

Racism knows no boundaries. We all are just human and we all have shortcomings. I would be angry too if my race was treated like a property for thousands of years. Doesn't make the guy correct in his assumptions or mean that fighting hate with more hate or even just misunderstanding could ever help. I feel a lot of shame for what my anglo-saxon race has done to the world, I feel guilt for what my country is doing to the world. At the same time though I try to realize that there is something like a sickness in people, I mean noone in their right mind would harm another in any way intentionally, so I choose to view raciat people as ones with an illness and have contempt and understanding and love for them as I would any person who was sick with a failing mind.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

ntwhtyouknw
#16 Posted : 6/5/2014 4:53:12 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

One thing I have found though growing up in the south is that often people are not as racist as they seem. Social constructs, anger, and upbringings engrain certain flaws into our charecter but generally people do not want to watch others suffer. I have known people to act and talk quite racist but when an oppurtunity arose to help a fellow human they did so regardless of skin color.

On the flip side I have had the displeasure of knowing some very racist people and can understand how it would be difficult for a black man in America specifically the southern states to not have some animosity toward white people given our diverse history, the civil rights movement was really not long ago at all, heck segregation is still a reality you have the classic wrong side of the tracks leading you from middleclass white america literally accross the train tracks to the predominately black impovrished side of town.

None of this makes racism excusable, just have to discern that it is understandable to a degree for African Americans to get caught up in it. I try to not even hold anglo-saxons at complete fault for being that way, the way religion and family will twist reality on people from the time they are youth some dont stand a chance at thinking for themselves and simply cant be blamed entirely. Hate is taught just like love is taught. The only thing we can do is love those that hate so maybe they can get a chance to learn as well.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

SnozzleBerry
#17 Posted : 6/6/2014 4:53:48 AM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

The Problem with Multiculturalism?

Quote:
For those who oppose racism, what could be wrong with multiculturalism? A fair amount, says radical critic Vijay Prashad, who argues that the institutionalization and celebration of diversity has become a substitute for antiracist activism. Prashad offers instead the notion of a radical polyculturalism. And, in a speech from the archives, historian Robin D.G. Kelley discusses building the future in the present.

Worth a listen, imo Smile
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

anrchy
#18 Posted : 6/6/2014 8:53:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Something I haven't seen mentioned in here that I think is fairly related... Stereotypes.

Often times this goes hand in hand with racism and prejudice. The difference is that stereo types are often true. This also causes the "guilty by association" syndrome that is all too common in these situations.

Racism between blacks and whites mostly stems from a past that is long gone. I say, get over it.

Racism against Hispanics mostly stems from illegal immigration.

Racism against Arabs, Iranians, ect stem from ignorance about terrorism.

Ect ect. I'm mostly speaking from the point of view from America and my opinions. I think it's all so ridiculous and just a bunch of misguided hate. Well I guess hate in general is misguided.
Open your Mind () Please read my DMT vaping guide () Fear is the mind killer

"Energy flows where attention goes"

[Please review the forum Wiki and FAQ before posting questions]

Praxis.
#19 Posted : 7/14/2014 6:21:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I randomly found this today and I thought it was extremely relevant.

This is a specific post that really resonated with me:
http://mycultureisnotatr...e-cultural-appropriation

Theres a lot of good content on here.

http://mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com

"Consciousness grows in spirals." --George L. Jackson

If you can just get your mind together, then come across to me. We'll hold hands and then we'll watch the sunrise from the bottom of the sea...
But first, are you experienced?

Prana2020
#20 Posted : 11/3/2014 11:43:17 PM

One with Darkness

[quoteThe Problem with Multiculturalism?

Quote:
For those who oppose racism, what could be wrong with multiculturalism? A fair amount, says radical critic Vijay Prashad, who argues that the institutionalization and celebration of diversity has become a substitute for antiracist activism. Prashad offers instead the notion of a radical polyculturalism. And, in a speech from the archives, historian Robin D.G. Kelley discusses building the future in the present.

Funny how racism has become a buzzword for attempting to legitimate ad-hominems in discussions. Specially those regarding immigration.

Multiculturalism is an elite-instituted movement, pushed by government backed NGOs that attempt to "integrate" populations from several countries around the world. It is the politically correct facade that implicates the state-wide imposition of "tolerance", towards enormous people who literally have nothing to do with the countries they're moving to, despite their legitimate search for "greener pastures".

When immigration becomes massive, under the excuse of 'multiculturalism' it alienates locals from actual immigrants when it becomes massive. And all those who address these concerns dissenting are discriminated and labeled by the "tolerants" who believe in egalitarianism.

What happens with the anti-miscegenation laws in asian countries?

Why do you have to "deal with this" or else be called a racist and be excluded from society?

People have the right to preserve themselves as a whole, and their cultures, without distinction.

The world has always been multicultural - When people live in the place they belong to.

VTSeeker48 wrote:
I randomly found this today and I thought it was extremely relevant.

This is a specific post that really resonated with me:
http://mycultureisnotatr...e-cultural-appropriation

Theres a lot of good content on here.

http://mycultureisnotatrend.tumblr.com

Worth a listen, imo Smile[/quote]
From the article
Quote:
White supremacy works so that white privilege goes unnoticed.

Hipsters wearing headresses is cultural appropriation because it is a commodification of indigenous culture. It takes something from someone else’s culture without any context or respect and turns it into something marketable and profitable.

Unfortunately the writer of this article seems to be unable to grasp the notion of postmodern capitalism, and is his reasoning seems to be unfortunate enough to forget the fact that asians may purchase such clothing as well, as well as africans, indians or arabs. And pretend it's fashionable because they deem it so.
Cultural loss is a symptom for globalization, not "white oppression".

Quote:
It reiterates the very techniques of colonialism by objectifying someone else’s culture and turning that culture into something available for consumption.

Quite a very poor attempt at rhethoric that conveniently ignores the fact that european culture has also started to decay ever since modernism, alongside other cultures as well. And maybe 'racist' toward white people too, since not all of us descend from slave owners nor would enjoy owning slaves. Funny enough, the first slave owner of the US wasn't white.

Since tumblr has acquired the fame of becoming a haven for trends so called "progressive", hardly anything coming from them deserves to be taken seriously.

All there is to read in such blogs is fashionable sofism at best.
Quote:
"Ride the chaos, ride the beast
Ride the dreams shattered into smithereens
Ride the wave into the abyss"

-Prana2020

12NEXT