We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
any star gazers here??? Options

ambi-lysergance
#1 Posted : 2/20/2010 5:19:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

friends...

I know we are all very aquainted with the exploration of inner space and this place has no shortage of experts on the subject but.....

when my partner who has suffered from severe epileptic seizures for 25 years of her 27 on this earth accompanied with severe depression suggested to me she has became encaptivated by everything that is space, the stars and planets.... I felt so ecstatic for her once dormant but now new found enthusiasm and zest for such an amazing "hobby" that I have decided to suprise her and buy her a telescopeEmbarrased

and to be fair who else do i come to in my times in need but you guysLaughing the air I breathe!!!

anyway I want this to be a good investment not a novelty. I want a serious bit of equipment of course at reasonable priceWink

is there anyone here who could reccomend your good old friend ambi-ly.. a telescope???

ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 2/20/2010 5:46:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

you can get a good quality "goto" scope for just under £200. The good thing about those are they teach you the stars, even if you don't know where to look.

Right this is TOO weird. I don't know anything about telescopes but a friend came over today as it turns out, near me is one of the best telescope suppliers in the UK. They sell observatory's and all sorts. But he bought a pretty damn good telescope for £175 that had the mechanical star search function and the ability to see saturns rings with good clarity (though apparently saturns rings are quite horizontal at the moment and you can only see them from the side, but in about 5 years you'll be able to see the flat faces of the rings and be able to make out the distinct belts.

I'm just repeating what I overheard from the salesman in the store here btw Pleased But for a first scope, get a "go to" scope and don't spend anymore than £200. That's meant to be the best introductin for a beginner.

My friend got something like this:

http://www.harpersphoto....nscan_az_goto_telescope/

ambi-lysergance
#3 Posted : 2/20/2010 6:11:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks verymuch soulfood.

the sinchronicity of your friends visit today was rather erm..well timedLaughing

I shall look into your advice my friend.

the "goto" seems to be around the price range I was looking at and also the star teaching function is an excellant and indeed practical feature.

your a proper gent soul my manWink

once again many thanks for your kind help brotherWink
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

gammagore
#4 Posted : 2/20/2010 6:39:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I don't gave any telescope knowledge, but I'd thought I'd share my feeling here.

These two posts really made me feel good. This Nexus we visit here daily really makes me feel good. It is really the only place that one can ask for advise. Advise that will come as being really truthfull.

A big thankyou goes out to all members that make the Nexus what it is.

I'm glad to hear your lady has found a good interest and that you are doing your best to help and be part of.

Here's to many hours spent gazing into the universeSmile

۩
#5 Posted : 2/20/2010 6:40:14 PM

Trying seeing the galaxy through your eyes closed, inside of your tent.
Both my sister and I have been successful with this out in places like yosemite/wyoming mountains.
amazing!

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 2/20/2010 6:50:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I always wanted a Celestron C5 but then the construction workers came and with them the homes and the light pollution. Nowaday I can barely see any stars at all.

Good luck, Stargazing is amazing, where possible!

#7 Posted : 2/20/2010 6:53:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

I have always loved astronomy.

A year or so back I bought a telescope right around the 140-150$ price range.

The one that soulfood posted is very similar to mine.

It nice with the cheaper ones because you can learn alot as far as what constellations are out, locations of different planets, cycles, and especially the MOON...my favorite.

It never gets old. Always something else to gaze upon. Relaxes the mind just as good as meditation imho.

Last year we had a good sight on jupiter.....WOW...first time i've ever seen another planet in person..just something about that.. Pleased

happy stargazing*~

Xt
#8 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:10:46 PM

Id love to go star gazing in the countryside with you two some time!
Ive actually been trying to project my self out of my head by concentrating on it, before bed.
Last night i started to (what felt like) see the stars and space, by simply mentally projecting/reaching out of my head/body.

Have you seen that temporal lobe video someone posted the other day?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIiIsDIkDtg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4B5BYbjf8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKbeLfhHvPY (6 parts)

I wish you both the best in health and happiness Ambi.
Sending you both my love.

“Right here and now, one quanta away, there is raging a universe of active intelligence that is transhuman, hyperdimensional, and extremely alien... What is driving religious feeling today is a wish for contact with this other universe.”
― Terence McKenna

tryptographer
#9 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:18:55 PM

tryptamine photographer

Building your own telescope is very satisfying, and not as difficult as you might think! There are plenty of books available.
I built a 11 cm Newton reflector when 15 years old, the construction wasn't very good but it gave me its share of magical moments. However, grinding the mirror yourself is more difficult, I tried but failed... and bought all the optics: main mirror, flat secundary mirror and a few eyepieces.

One of the most cost effective designs would be a Newton system on a Dobson mounting.

Always keep in mind that magnification means nothing. The diameter of the objective is the most important parameter!

I quit stargazing because of light pollution in this overpopulated lowland country, but a lot of knowledge about telescopes is still left in this old brain - so ask ahead!

ambi-lysergance
#10 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:35:26 PM

DMT-Nexus member

gammagore wrote:
Well I don't gave any telescope knowledge, but I'd thought I'd share my feeling here.

These two posts really made me feel good. This Nexus we visit here daily really makes me feel good. It is really the only place that one can ask for advise. Advise that will come as being really truthfull.

A big thankyou goes out to all members that make the Nexus what it is.

I'm glad to hear your lady has found a good interest and that you are doing your best to help and be part of.

Here's to many hours spent gazing into the universeSmile

this was a great and heartfelt post!

true and genuine characters like yourself gammagore make this place what it isWink

these kind words mean a lot to us friend

ambi-lysergance
#11 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:37:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

xtechre wrote:
Id love to go star gazing in the countryside with you two some time!

I wish you both the best in health and happiness Ambi.
Sending you both my love.

you are welcome any time my friend!

thanks so much from us bothWink

ambi-lysergance
#12 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:42:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

tryptographer wrote:
Building your own telescope is very satisfying, and not as difficult as you might think! There are plenty of books available.
I built a 11 cm Newton reflector when 15 years old, the construction wasn't very good but it gave me its share of magical moments. However, grinding the mirror yourself is more difficult, I tried but failed... and bought all the optics: main mirror, flat secundary mirror and a few eyepieces.

One of the most effective designs would be a Newton system on a Dobson mounting.

Always keep in mind that magnification means nothing. The diameter of the objective is the most important parameter!

I quit stargazing because of light pollution in this overpopulated lowland country, but a lot of knowledge about telescopes is still left in this old brain - so ask ahead!

tryptographer thanks for your expertise here.

a newton system on a dobson mounting you say? excellant! I shall hold on to this advice sir.

and of course in the future I shall certainly politely ask for further guidence from your good self.

thank you

and to the rest of you amazing people thanks for you comments, help, positivity, kindness and warmth

ambi-lysergance
#13 Posted : 2/20/2010 7:48:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

DMTtripn2Space wrote:
I have always loved astronomy.

A year or so back I bought a telescope right around the 140-150$ price range.

The one that soulfood posted is very similar to mine.

It nice with the cheaper ones because you can learn alot as far as what constellations are out, locations of different planets, cycles, and especially the MOON...my favorite.

It never gets old. Always something else to gaze upon. Relaxes the mind just as good as meditation imho.

Last year we had a good sight on jupiter.....WOW...first time i've ever seen another planet in person..just something about that.. Pleased

happy stargazing*~

this post makes me want to run out ad get a telescope right now!!!

incidently lainy my better half is obsessed by the moon!

the poor lady of mine will end up not being able to get near it lol

and here was ambi all full of compassion and romance, yeah now he is hogging the telescope!! what a bumLaughing Laughing

obliguhl
#14 Posted : 2/20/2010 8:06:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
and especially the MOON...my favorite.

Oh yes...a cold winter night and the bright moon ....it feels like a cold shower for your soul!!

Buster
#15 Posted : 2/20/2010 10:29:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yo ambi... check this out= http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-7R5HHE

its reportedly the best place in scotland to see the stars, granted its a wee drive from glasgow but it could make
a nice wee romantic camping tripWink i was partying in the area last year (loch doon) and it was absolutly
stunning without a telescope.

also muirshiel country park, quite a bit closer to glasgow,is a good place to observe i,v herd and youd
probably get away with it at the campsies for extra closeness.

happy gazing and mind give the missus a wee shot now and againLaughing

peace
I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

DMTripper
#16 Posted : 2/20/2010 10:57:03 PM

John Murdoch IV

soulfood wrote:
you can get a good quality "goto" scope for just under £200. The good thing about those are they teach you the stars, even if you don't know where to look.

Right this is TOO weird. I don't know anything about telescopes but a friend came over today as it turns out, near me is one of the best telescope suppliers in the UK.

Hehe and a friend of mine just started to talk about how awesome it would be to just buy a proper telescope and start to gaze at the stars. And that was today and then I see this thread here. NIce. I'm gona look into buying one Very happy
––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

ambi-lysergance
#17 Posted : 2/20/2010 11:20:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:
Quote:
and especially the MOON...my favorite.

Oh yes...a cold winter night and the bright moon ....it feels like a cold shower for your soul!!

good old obliguhlWink regardless of the context of conversation or dialogue, be it serious or be it fun.... you never fail to leave us with an amazing lasting sentence to rest our heads on for the night....

salut brotherVery happy

ambi-lysergance
#18 Posted : 2/20/2010 11:30:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Buster wrote:
yo ambi... check this out= http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-7R5HHE

its reportedly the best place in scotland to see the stars, granted its a wee drive from glasgow but it could make
a nice wee romantic camping tripWink i was partying in the area last year (loch doon) and it was absolutly
stunning without a telescope.

also muirshiel country park, quite a bit closer to glasgow,is a good place to observe i,v herd and youd
probably get away with it at the campsies for extra closeness.

happy gazing and mind give the missus a wee shot now and againLaughing

peace

Buster!!!

loving your work my good friend!!

this is right up our street and then some!!!

I cant thank you enough for this outstanding geographical knowledge!!! I mean lets face it people..lets break it down

..I come here to the fine nexus looking for a telescope!

I get the telescopic expertise of our community,

I recive so graciously the love of our community,

I get directions to the finest locations to put the final touches to a beautiful picture, again also provided by this fine community!!!

god, I love you all.

you could bring a grown man to joyous tears you lotLaughing

(erm, by a grown man the term 27 year old dissalusioned spaceman who resembles a 12 year old gremlin may be more applicableLaughing )

Buster
#19 Posted : 2/21/2010 5:00:18 AM

DMT-Nexus member

its always a pleasure to give a little bit back to the community ambi thanks, after all i'v learned a shitload
of stuff from here my self this last year.

have funCool

peace
I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.

Aegle
#20 Posted : 2/21/2010 9:39:10 AM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Ambi-Lysergance

Reading this thread brought tears to my eyes, what a beautiful gift to give to your love my friend... Much love to you and your other half.

Much Peace and Compassion
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

12NEXT