We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT Acetate to Freebase Conversion Options

qetoh
#1 Posted : 11/14/2021 9:23:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Just a small chemistry question here. I've recently extracted DMT acetate following the Q21Q21 tek. But since the acetate form is not ideal to smoke I'll convert the DMT into freebase.

I've read about converting the DMT to freebase using sodium carbonate. Would this react water, DMT acetate and sodium carbonate to form DMT freebase, sodium bicarbonate, hydroxide and sodium acetate like below?

H2O + Na2CO3 + CH3COOB –> B(+) + NaHCO3 + OH(-) + CH3COONa

("B" stands for DMT)

Thanks Smile

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

nnBarry
#2 Posted : 11/14/2021 12:08:35 PM
DMT-Nexus member

edit: what downwardsfromzero said.....

qetoh
#3 Posted : 11/14/2021 10:29:11 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the help. I would use lime instead of sodium carbonate like in the Q21Q21 tek, but since lime is poorly soluble in water I'll use sodium hydroxide.

It seems too simple, but couldn't I just separate the fb DMT using water after adding sodium hydroxide? After all, there's no other precipitate that forms unlike with sodium carbonate:

Na+(aq) + OH-(aq) + CH3COO-(aq) + BH+(aq) –> B(s) + H2O(l) + CH3COO-(aq) + Na+(aq)

downwardsfromzero
#4 Posted : 11/15/2021 3:07:48 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

qetoh wrote:
Just a small chemistry question here. I've recently extracted DMT acetate following the Q21Q21 tek. But since the acetate form is not ideal to smoke I'll convert the DMT into freebase.

I've read about converting the DMT to freebase using sodium carbonate. Would this react water, DMT acetate and sodium carbonate to form DMT freebase, sodium bicarbonate, hydroxide and sodium acetate like below?

H2O + Na2CO3 + CH3COOB –> B(+) + NaHCO3 + OH(-) + CH3COONa

("B" stands for DMT)

Thanks Smile

The reaction with an excess of sodium carbonate is roughly as follows:
Na2CO3 + CH3COO- BH+ –> B + NaHCO3 + CH3COONa

Your second reaction scheme is getting closer:
Na+(aq) + OH-(aq) + CH3COO-(aq) + BH+(aq) –> B(s) + H2O(l) + CH3COO-(aq) + Na+(aq)

Things that are the same on each side of the equation can be cancelled out:

Aqueous sodium carbonate acts as a source of hydroxide ions for the above equation:
2Na+(aq) + H2O(l) + (CO3)2-(aq) –> OH-(aq) + (HCO3)-(aq) + 2Na+(aq)

[Really, I should write this stuff with the proper superscripts and subscripts. It's a shame that the [sub] and [sup] BB code apparently isn't supported in this editor any more.]

If you have a very pure solution of DMT salt (e.g. acetate) you should be able to collect solid freebase after chilling the reaction mixture in the fridge for a while. However, it is easier to prepare DMT fumarate in a state of sufficient purity than it is the acetate.

Another approach is to perform the reaction as a paste (whether using lime or soda), let the water evaporate to dryness, then collect the liberated freebase using a solvent such as acetone, ethanol or isopropanol. Freebase can then be recovered by evaporation of the solvent, or the solution can be used quite conveniently as is for volumetric dosing.

As a footnote, addition of water to sodium bicarbonate will only liberate carbon dioxide if the water is boiling.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli