We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV12
ayahuasca used for war Options

dankh
#21 Posted : 12/28/2009 6:10:02 PM

MRJ

burnt wrote:
Many shamanic beliefs are wrong or downright dangerous. I don't see why people take everything that has the word "shamanism" put in front of it and think its automatically a good thing.

Shamanism in some form or another has played an important role in the development of all human cultures. But just like ALL human cultures there are good and bad parts.

Unless you're a monk. Those guys don't even need alkaloids and as far as I know I've never heard of a single Buddhist sect that became territorial or waged religious conquest.
In most cases, the furthest you have to go for help is the nearest human being.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule a film by Mitch Schultz
@Facebook @Twitter @YouTube

The creator; shattered diamond eyes and serpent veins of light.

Quote:
I'm scared to death that I'm living a life not worth dying for.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

amor_fati
#22 Posted : 12/28/2009 8:53:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

burnt wrote:
Many shamanic beliefs are wrong or downright dangerous. I don't see why people take everything that has the word "shamanism" put in front of it and think its automatically a good thing.

Shamanism in some form or another has played an important role in the development of all human cultures. But just like ALL human cultures there are good and bad parts.

Very true, but my sentiments are largely the other way around. It's precisely the the historical inconsistencies with modern new-age sentiments that make all the more appealing interesting for me. What I can't say is whether these more brutal elements are necessarily bad or evil, it really depends manner of moralistic approach. Certainly superstitions are often another matter, but they can sometimes simply be inaccurate expressions of pertinent observations

dankh wrote:
It is my belief that we have evolved, grown, our boundaries have expanded and while I respect our ancestors I question their wisdom on the grand scale. That applies to us and our revelations as well which, when considering "knowing what we don't know", means only much more profound human existences await us.

Most certainly. Our ancestors, more often than not, prove an embarrassment, but our follies often amplify their own. However, history often notes instances which exemplify values that I would contend exceed those common to our modern age, though these most often occur as exceptions and unwittingly, at that. Our greatest advantage and greatest curse in contrast to our ancestors is the ability to look back--however limitedly--with the discernment enabled by time and distance. Our follies, especially when identical to our ancestors'--are greater in consideration of our negligence and ignorance with such a body of information at our disposal, but our achievements may reach far greater heights, facilitated by the legacy of our ancestors.

dankh wrote:
Unless you're a monk. Those guys don't even need alkaloids and as far as I know I've never heard of a single Buddhist sect that became territorial or waged religious conquest.

The Tibetan Buddhists essentially conquered/converted Tibet by sending lamas out into the villages to act as shamans while preaching the ways of their form of Buddhism. They seized position as the governing body of the land; I feel that in many ways this is a good model for establishing rule of reason and civility, but their failures in fending of the Chinese invaders during the cultural revolution (for the lama's sake, as well as that of their subjects) betrays critical flaws in their methods, unless they intended to become as martyrs. Imagine if they had taken on a more martial aspect--such as that embraced by the Shao-lin or the Wudang or even the various warrior priests of Japan--and allied themselves more closely with the bandit rebels still opposing Chinese rule in Tibet. I imagine that their struggle would evoke a much more meaningful and rousing sentiment than pity.

shoe
#23 Posted : 12/28/2009 9:25:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

dankh wrote:
I'm fascinated that the theme of our modern day psychedelic experience is an awakening, of one-ness, of love and kinship while the history of shamanic uses for guidance would include war.

I can't seem to reconcile those differences. It doesn't add up.

what does that say dankh? This current paradigm we are in, whatever it be called (I don't even think its 'new agers'Pleased is beyond shamanism!
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

dankh
#24 Posted : 12/29/2009 2:08:12 AM

MRJ

obliguhl wrote:
It's their way of living. Who are you to judge that? Wouldn't this imply, that you value your culture higher? Well, this is something every culture seems to inherit: The feeling of beeing superior, knowing "what's best", beeing "human".

You say that this behaviour is insane. Who told you, that ratio is the ultima ratio ...do you see the irony?

Of course not. That's like saying there is no place in educating our childrens' ignorant ideologies, regardless of how innocent or destructive they may be. "Democracy", for example, would be one of those key elements in a healthy environment that would encourage a child to be respectful, understanding, openminded, and learn the value of deliberation as opposed to "I HAVE GUNS, YOU DO WHAT I SAY."
In most cases, the furthest you have to go for help is the nearest human being.

DMT: The Spirit Molecule a film by Mitch Schultz
@Facebook @Twitter @YouTube

The creator; shattered diamond eyes and serpent veins of light.

Quote:
I'm scared to death that I'm living a life not worth dying for.

jamie
#25 Posted : 12/29/2009 5:50:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

shoe wrote:
dankh wrote:
I'm fascinated that the theme of our modern day psychedelic experience is an awakening, of one-ness, of love and kinship while the history of shamanic uses for guidance would include war.

I can't seem to reconcile those differences. It doesn't add up.

what does that say dankh? This current paradigm we are in, whatever it be called (I don't even think its 'new agers'Pleased is beyond shamanism!

Thats how I see it. These are some special times.
Long live the unwoke.

PREV12